Monongahela River reports for June

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by catchinghogs, Jun 2, 2009.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    June is hear and for me this is the hardest time of the year to catch flatheads. For some reason every year the fish are hard to catch. This year i think might be a little different. I went out last night I had some live trout and nice suckers. Caught one little channel on live sucker and lost a nice fish on live trout. I pulled a ten pound flathead out of a snag on a sucker and later in the night got a twelve pound flathead on a live trout. I was suprised how well the trout did on the hook lived even after a couple of casts.Im interested to see how you guys do in the month of June seems I waste alot of time on the water every year just waiting for the big bite. Good luck to all fishing at this time of year.

2. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    i have seen your frustration personal and you have seen mine during the month of june,its definatly my toughest month to.the big girls are sittin on the beds and unless you hit them in the face seems like nothing is movin besides the little sperm filled males like what you were catchin last night.but hey thats just my opinion hopfully its not that way for everyone,including myself........TEAM 50#er

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Aint being no wise ass,but it,s the big BOYS guarding the nests.Catfish are one of the exceptions in fresh water,where the males are the larger fish.It,s the males who do the nest guarding too.:wink:

4. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    learn something new everyday....LETS GO PENS

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    patcat50 has definitely done his homework and know his stuff! It's the males that guard the nest and the female roams the area.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jesse, you can always whip out the gloves and scuba tanks and catch em by hand! The spawn always suck! If you do get a fish, it's 1 to 5lbs.

7. Well, after the first rush of bites, June gives you time to fine tune things for the big push.:wink:

8. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have you guys ever tried plastic worms used for bass. The spawn is my favorite time of year to catfish. I use worms with wieghted heads giving them a bottom feeding action in the lakes I fish around riprap, cliffs and deep log structure. It drives them crazy seeing something poseing a threat to there nest. I catch MANY nice channel cats 6lbs and up this way.

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    this might work for channels but i'm not sure if the flatty's will take a rubber worm, i think live bait in their face is the only thing that will work durring spawn

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Me Brian and Justin hit the river last night. Brian Landed a 23 and 17 lb.flat , Justin got a 10 lb. flat and I got a little 4 pounder.
    Cut rainbow trout was working the best, also caught some on chubs, sucker and bluegill.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Some pics of Brians fish..

DSCF1332 (Small).jpg

DSCF1329 (Small).jpg

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    first pic is a 16.2 # flattie and the second is a 23.12 #er according to Jay my trusty scale reader. he lost a nice one and i lost two big ones. the last one i lost was heading for some debris and i could not turn him whatsoever. mh catfishsafari 8' spinning rod,30lb suffix mono,40lb berkley big cat mono leader,drag tightened down and my big behind torqueing on him and i could not turn him. he went over a log or something and the hook popped loose :angry:. still we had a lot of action most of the night and i had a great time on the S.S. DIESELKAT. thanks for coming down again fellas and checking out the new spots. always thought those spots would be good but can't get to them without a boat so thank you Captain Justin. thanks for the good net work Jay. another wacky adventure in the books fellas and i had a great time. we will have to practice the launching and docking of the boat as it seems that is where the most bizzare moments of our trips come from :wink:. hope to fish with you guys again when i heal up from surgery and i can get back out again. hope you guys had a good time. i had a blast.

14. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Great job guys. You three have seem to taken over the upper Mon. I'm back in the game this week if I can get the weather and the bait! Hope I can master your skills:wink:

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thanks brother. hope you get a hog.

16. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Are you getting surgery Brian? If so when? I can get you on my boat, hell if I can get in it anyone can. Even if you want to fish from shore let me know. I can pick you right up at your doorstep. I have to get ahold of Jay too. We never got achance to go again after one bad night. Let know caused I'm locked and loaded.

17. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Hi Jay in case you didn't see my post to Brian, I'm clear to start this week. We have to hook up soon. Sam went back to Colorado and my baby is a true teenager now and dads just for money not fishing. Let me know anytime anyplace.
    Jay
    P.S. can't give you Reps I guess you're not worthy:big_smile:

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Brian on the nice Flattys! :cool2: I think Justin has come out of the closet as a Mon man! :eek:oooh: :smile2: :smile2:

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    with the shenanigans that go on before we launch and when we dock everytime he comes down i think Justin will forever be an Allegheny man. we have a good time but if you'd see us when this stuff happens you would cry from laughing. he really is a good guy as i think most people would not want to come back or would get frustrated or mad but he takes it all in stride and never misses a beat. he is an honorary Mon guy and always has a home here on the river but he would never give up on his home river. its in his blood.

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    surgery is june 11th. have to get tests done monday at 10 in the morning. if you want to try for something sunday,monday,or tuesday night let me know.