Monongahela River Report For September

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by mikeozo, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    Went out last night for about 4 hours. Only one bite and I did get a nice 7 pound channel on a 6" gil. It was freezing by midnight and I got the hell out of there. I was hoping things would be better but I dont think it's looking good. Can't wait for the new moon.

2. tworod

tworod New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Kinda screwed up situation between the moon phase and the cooler temperature:confused2:. BassinWV and me were talking about going out tonight, but I have to agree W/ u can't wait til the new moon! I Gotta give you credit, not bad for a channel cat, esp. on a 6" gill! I will let you know how we do, that is if we decide to go anytime soon!

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Tim

4. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Moon and temperatures is what's keeping me home tonight. This time next week should be right if the weather levels off.

5. bowman732000

bowman732000 Member

State:
    south park pa.
    fished the mon last night,sure did get cold by midnight.during one half hour we had about 6 hits got 1 channel and 2 smaller flats. then things went dead.

6. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    I was at home with my 2 year old tonite cause the wife had to work...I decided against watchin cartoons and playing with tonkas so I ventured out to the Mon...Had 20 gils, 5 shiners, 3 suckers and 4 chubs. First time in a while I had that kind of variety.

Got out there and wham....whatever it was took off n my baitrunners were buzzin like crazy....i let him go for bout 20 seconds and thought for sure I hadhim, set the hook, nothing! Couldnt believe it...that was on a 7" shiner, 15 minutes later, Boom...on a gil, missed again.....SOBs...lol....20 minutes or so....whammo again on a shiner, took everything but the head...Now I am gettin pissed...Baited poles back up and got serious...landed the next 3 flatties...2 on shiners, one on a gil. I didnt want to leave...but my son did..LOL He was crying for bout 15 minutes so I hung it up and headed back. I would have stayed til morning if I wouldnt have had him with me and the bite continued like that...Hadnt had a 2hour period like that in a while. They really seemed to like the shiners tonite and I normally dont do well on them. Still have all the chubs and suckers and bout 16 bluegils...Wander where I will be tomorrow:)

BTW..no big ones (between 5-10 pounders) But fun as hell anyway. It's just a matter of time before I hit that 30 pound mark. This was my first year to really target Flatties and I have learned alot and now I have a boat. Next year you wont see me on land except to sleep...wait, i have a cuddy cabin...haha

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    sounds like a good time. if you want a bigger flathead bro go with big baits. they also seem to like the baits with the slimmer profile now such as the shiners,chubs,suckers,etc,. put a big one of these out in that honey hole you got and you'll get your 30 pounder.

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I guess I was wrong.:embarassed: Way to go Mike.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Tim and George!:0a25::0a25:.

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Got out on the mighty mon last night first time in two weeks. Another dismal night of fishing.:confused2: I had an early taker on a stepped on chub felt like a nice fish :cool2: after a short battle my line snapped:angry:. Then lost another one to a snag on a live gill. I sort of caught a fish or I guess he caught me:smile2: landed a 5 pound channel that had a hook in its mouth with a leader hanging out i ended up snagging the line with my hook. Does that count as a catch:smile2::roll_eyes::smile2:

11. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Took the wife and kids out Saturday from 3-8 and got the big skunk.....man I gota learn to use that fish finder.

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    wow i thought you guys would be pounding them by now. shows what i know. sounds like a very weird year for flats around the mon.

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Any current down there yet??

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan

15. busti8

busti8 New Member

State:
    RicesLanding,PA
    ive been going down to the lockwall down rices landing when the girlfriend allows me this week and have been doing worse than terrible.. i didnt even get a bite.. i was usin bluegills and chubs and homemade doughball..

i met some buddies down california the other night.. our usual spot that we always did amazing at is now off limits and has no trespassing signs up all over :confused2:.. so we went down the road.. used gills and chubs.. didnt get one bite.. missed one fish on doughball..

and then there was tonight.. had 6 gills, some chubs and crawfish all ready to go.. dropped the gf off and threw my first pole out at 1030.. at 1032, it started to rain.. i tried to wait it out but it got worse.. it is now 530 am and i am still waitiout the rain :sad2::sad2::sad2:.. i guess it is never goin to stop? haha.. hope someone, somewhere caught a fish tonight!!

16. bowman732000

bowman732000 Member

State:
    south park pa.
    fished the mon last night until 1 am.i took my nephew out for his first time on the boat.he did not have any luck but did get to net my first 20 lber. its been a long time coming. now to shoot for a 30 lber.oh yea he hit a dead smashed up chub about 10 oclock.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Congrats on the new PB George!:cool2:

18. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was out on the river today and saw a capsized boat tied to a rock.
    I don't know how they're gonna fix that.

DSCF1379.jpg

19. Dang dude, what size is that?:eek:oooh:

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    wow thats a mess there.