Monongahela River Report For August

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by waynesburgjay, Aug 6, 2009.

1. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Started off in the right direction last night the fish were biting and I caught a small channel and a small flathead on bluegills right away.

10:00 came and the bite shut off completely and the moon came out. I stayed til 2 without another bite. Had a small possum walk up on me last night he was real close I could have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and threm in the river. Plus two beavers. Rivers looking good .

2. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Way to go Jay. It could be the start it's supposed to b real nice the next few days. 90 degrees on Sunday, Lots of boaters will be out though. We are going to have an August thread!:wink:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They quit biting after 9:30 Pm and when the moon comes out in the West too?:sad2: Seems like I am seeing a pattern here.:cool2:

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    well you caught some anyways Jay and you got to start the new thread. better times are coming. did you get your boat yet?

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    leaving next thursday to go pick it up

6. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Went out tuesday night from 11pm till 9:30am caught 2 channel cats on cut and my buddy caught a 5lb flat on a 3in live wamouth.

Wed night, boat broke down after 12am with no bites, floated down to a dock where my buddy could bring me a car battery and jump me, while waiting threw the rods out on the bank and had a big one on, lost it, mad mad mad, then jumped my boat at 3am drank and fished till 6am with 2 more hits. MAD MAD.... I try so hard and have not caught a flat since June 15.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    don't worry Pete thats just how it goes sometimes. we've all been there at one time or another. flatheads are the most frustrating fish to fish for sometimes but once you finally catch one its worth it. times like these you have to try thinking outside the box and try different things whether it be bait used, location, depth, methods used, etc,. you just might end up hitting on something that works. but like i said sometimes you might be doing eveything right but those flats just don't want to hit. best advice is to try and learn something every time out whether you catch fish or not and have a good time.

8. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    hey guys sorry i havnt been on in a while :sad2:(work,sleep,work,repeat):sad2:i have only been out 3-4 this year not catchin anything really worth talking about but i hope that is about to change works startin to slow for aug.and i will be gettin out there,startin tonite i will let ya know tommorow

9. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i know the feeling Pete .. i think all of us do.. i went out last night using a new bait .. not giving away any secerets yet but i missed a big one also :sad2: but thats the way it goes sometimes.. keep plugin away :wink:

10. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    went out last night to my HONEY HOLE and fished from 8 till 130 and didnt even get a bite!!! it was the first time EVER that i have been completely SKUNKED at that spot EVER!!??!! not sure whats going on around the river but it better change quickly.water temps were i was is still 77 this time last year it was mid 80'slisten to me trying to make exxuses oh well shit happens.......this year has been crap and to top off the night i ripped my prop apart on a shallow spot all rocks less than 2ft 75' off shore no bouy around to warn you just.:0a22:..BANG!!!:eek:oooh: full speed no warning prop destroyed hope the shaft is not bent..........

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    have noticed the last few years it seems the westside bite is about 2 weeks behind the eastside of the state. their water must warm up faster than on this side of the state. think we also take the brunt of the weather systems that come through, not all but most seem to peter out before they get out that way or weaken alot. Jesse sorry to hear about the skunk and the prop. Shawn and a new bait, seems like the mad professor is doing some experiments. those flatheads are in trouble now. let us know how it works out Shawn.

12. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Tough night Jesse send the bill to the Army Corps of incompetent Engineers. I had the same thing happen about 5 years ago it cost me a whole lower unit. Hang in there it will pay off with a 50#er.

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I caught a few bullheads the other day close to home. I might see if I can get some more to try out. That might do the trick.:cool2:

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Look at it this way Pete,things can only go up for ya! Been in them ruts before,lot of times they,ve been followed by some really good fishin.Sending some mojo your way!:wink:

15. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks buddy, ima goin sunday night,, tryin new spots.... try to think outside the box

Are they shallow?

16. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Got out for the first time in about 3 weeks last night.My wife had surgery so i havent been doing to much of lately.Felt good to get back out on the water. I had chubs gills and one live trout.The night didnt start out good the trout flew off the hook on the first cast:angry:. I was getting no action on live bait so tried the old school method of stepped on chub. Caught one 2 pound channel then i got a double with a 15 pound flatty on stepped on chub and a 5 pound flatty on live gill. Managed another little channel on smashed chub and missed a couple of other decent runs. Was good to fish again hope to get out a little more.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    was wondering where ya been Mark. hope the wife is ok. glad you got to get out and get into a few.

18. Hear that Shawn? STOMPED CHUBS.:wink:

Good job buddy. Too bad about the trout.:eek:oooh::embarassed:

19. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    One channel and a 8lb flat last night from 11pm till 6am. No hits till 4:30am.

20. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah John reading some of your posts reminded me of the hot bait. Don't use the chubs as much as I used to sometimes catching chubs takes like 20 little ones to 1 decent one. Use the chubs live if that don't work make that thing pop just right and a fish is almost guaranted