Monongahela River Fishing

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by zeboman, Feb 16, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m looking for new areas on the mon to fish,I usually fish between elizabeth & McKeesport.Anyone interested cotact me.

2. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I fish that same area..I like to fish in old barges down by coal mill in Clarton!

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Have you ever fished by the lock in Elizabeth? There are some good spots by the barges in dravosburg.

4. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are you talking about down on River Rd

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yes,up from the dravosburg bridge or just below it.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    We should organize a night of flathead fishing on the MON,the season hasn`t even started yet so there is plenty of time let me know what you think.

7. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Count me in on that i always fish next to Lock #3 down their thats where i got my avatar Pic nice area. :big_smile:

8. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    thats very worth doing...but not till that water heats up

9. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well shawn and scott sounds like we have a plan, we`ll wait until it warms up and take it from there.

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Alright Jay,those flatheads might be in a little trouble.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Let us Ohio boys know when you do, I might bring a crew over.

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m sure when we figure something out it will be posted here,the way I see it all are welcome.

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
  14. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Mon spit out a walleye for me yesterday...ITS ALIVE!!!:smile2:

15. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Went out again yesterday during that snow storm. I got into a nice sauger, but the guy I was fishing with hooked into a flathead. We were both running 4lb test on ultra lights so he was staying with it for like 10 min then it spit the hook. It's a challenge to take those flatheads on light tackle but man it fun, you have zero control over that fish, your just along for the ride until he gets tired. LIGHT TACKLE FLATHEAD FISHING..try it

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a question for you guys,I lose some fish on the rock edges when shore fishing the MON.I use 30# mono, do you think a switch to a braid would help ? There is a down side to braided line, if you get snagged up forget it.

17. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I was having the same problem last year but i was using 30# stealth braid im going to 65# power pro and using a mono leader.. but Catchinghogs brought up a great point... Braid will sheer easier in the rocks so mabe mono is the way to go with a higher pound test .. not totaly sure yet but im going to try the 65# breai with a 60# mono leader this year and il let ya know.

18. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I run braided..on my catrod but before it..like you said I lost a couple fish from line breaks. Since braided line and I got together the only way they get away is if I dont sink that hook right! Also I perosnally havent had more or less problems with snagging up..and cutting the line means that you get to go buy more STUFF! WIN WIN in my mind..lol

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sometimes I think the only way to avoid those MON RIVER rocks is to fish from a boat as much as possible.