Monongahela River Fishing

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by catchinghogs, May 4, 2007.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well the weather has finally broke and have made a few trips this year.Caught my first flathead of the year Wednseday night around 10 pm caught on a live blue gill. The fish weighed in at 16 pounds very nice for first fish of the year went out last night also but only managed one 5 pounder.Had a few good runs but couldnt hook em.Will be hitting the river again tonight. Will post pictures later.

2. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Mark, it's good to hear that the flats are biting on the Mon, hopefully they got the news on the Allegheny and start biting there too:big_smile:

3. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    keep up the good work and keep the reports and pictures comming

4. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Fished last night and got another nice flatty 18 pounder and caught a 8 pound channel. The fish are biting a little slow it seems I catch a decent one early into the night then it slows done a good bit.But I am happy with one fish a night just a matter of time and the fishing will get better.Wont be able to get out for a couple of days :too_sad: .

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Way to go Mark! You beat me out on getting that 1st Flattie of the year! A 16# is a great way to start the year!

6. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Finally got some pics to post. Also i lied I am going to go out for a couple of hours tonight.first pic is of 16 pounder second of 18 pounder.

Attached Files:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice fish Mark.

I agree with you about the slow and sporatic bite. I will get a fish around 8:00PM and 8:30PM and it slows down. Just happy to get one.

8. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah it is really weird went out tonight and a guy was fishing were I do around 7pm and he caught one as soon as I got there. Stayed till 11pm and we had a couple of little runs and that was it. Might try fishing during the day.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mark - What's the water temp. on the Mon.? It was 50* on the Allegheny Sat. evening! I think the bite is slow cause the water still needs to warmup. That's great you got a few already!:big_smile:

10. tdfishhard

tdfishhard New Member

State:
    Charleroi, PA
    went to fix live well on boat, I put it in this past weekend and got my first flathead 6lb and 2 small channels. I never left the dock

Check out this awesome sunset pic I took with my phone

Attached Files:

11. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Were hittem pretty good on the ohio we picked up about 12 the past two nights 2biggest were 16# and 23# lbers .

12. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    is that downriver from the bridge in monesson? looks alot like it. nice pic

13. tdfishhard

tdfishhard New Member

State:
    Charleroi, PA
    No that is the 70 bridge

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hey guys, can you give me some tip and tactics when fishing bridge pilings/train tressels? I found a spot below a bridge where I got some small flatheads recently.

Thanks.

15. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Use bigger bait. I dont usally fish areas like that. I fish from the sure mostly. HAvent been out alot this week been working alot. I am going to be trying some new spots this year try something different. And also Theron if you see this I might be going to the lollipop this saturday if you are out on the water.

16. tdfishhard

tdfishhard New Member

State:
    Charleroi, PA
    Mark
    I caught 6 flats from the lollipop up river to the next round tie off point durring the day last week. My boat is docked under the 70 bridge varry close to get there after work

17. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The mon produced a big flathead last night caught by my brother in law (my new Student).My phone was ringing off the hook about 1 am this morning. I was fast asleep had to be up at 4 am for work he tells me he just caught a real big flathead and asked me to bring my scale down. He has been know to tell a few stories here and there so what the heck I was up now i meet him on the river and low and behold he pulls a monster flatty from the water on a stringer 37 pounds weighed it for him took a few pictures and released it to fight another day. Got home and went back to bed and had dreams of baitrunners in my sleep. Problem is I have been so busy with work havent had any time to fish think I will make time tonight.Will post picture if I can get him off the water.

18. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Whats was the Water Temp on the Mon. >?
    We've managed a 30 lb. and 25 lb. this year so far !!

HAWK :smile2:

19. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Water temp was 67. I went out tonight and caught 3 nice flatheads 13,15 and 16 pounds . Got two within 5 minutes of each other and the last one right before dark.Also had another fish take a big sucker and run like crazy with it got the hook set and got hung up in a snag. Only bad thing I didnt take my camera so I didnt get any pics.

20. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey man hopefully one day if i'm up your way we can get together and do some fishing, or if your ever down in the Fairmont, Wv area i'll take ya out. Do you fish by boat or by bank >?

HAWK