Monongahela River bullheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by zeboman, Mar 4, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    When I `m catfishing I rarely catch bullheads from the Mon,where have the bullheads gone? Maybe MR. Flathead knows.

2. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was fishing the docks at the mouth of Pike Run and I caught a yellow bullhead on some corn. But thats the only one I ever caught.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    How many would you say you caught in the last few years?

4. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    just that one..but i have seen more up streams around here

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Where is Pike Run, I`ve never heard of it?

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There was another thread about using bullheads for bait. Most fisherman were in agreement that bullheads are a great bait choice for flatheads. Bullheads on the MON are scarce, do you guys think this is due to Flatheads eating them all up?

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Back in the 70's I used to catch Bullheads all the time from the Allegheny River but I have not caught even one in the past 10 years!

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I know what you mean,if I was to try a bullhead for bait I would have to fish the Youghiogheny for them.

9. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    How would yoou fish for Bullheads? like channel's .. lol sorry if this seems like a trival question i just never fished for them or have seen anyone fish for them i have cought 1 or 2 on accident fishing for gills but i Would love to use them for bait.

And where do ya think the most numbers of them would be ... river ,pond ,lake stream?

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Use beef or chicken liver fresh from the pack or let it sit in the sun for a day or so, either way works.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I used to get a lot of bullheads up in dresden creek that went into Seneca lake in New York. When the water was high and muddy we would wade out about knee deep and drop a half night crawler right in front of us. You could fill a 5 gal. bucket up in no time.
    On the west branch of the susquehanna around lock haven we used to get a lot at night. But they do seem to be getting scarce in a lot of places. The west branch where I fished only had channels. I'm sure they eat a lot of the bullheads , along with the bass and walleye.

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Bullheads can easily be caught anywhere on the yough,most guys say they are an excellent bait for flatheads.