Monongahela River Bite Back On!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by catchinghogs, Sep 23, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The action on the mon has really been heating up with three fish over 20 pounds the last couple of times out.With some bigger being lost to well I've run out of excuses bad knot bad line big snag. I have been taking my coworker out and he has been catching some real nice flatheads. Last night he got a 24 pounder.But tonight going out by myself with some really good bait cant wait to see what happens.Here is some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice fish Mark! Thanks for posting the pics!

3. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just got back from tonights trip caught a couple of fish with the biggest being 17 pounds caught on a dead trout.I had alot of runs and missed a good bit of fish.They were hitting stepped on bluegills real good.Here is pic.

Attached Files:

4. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    nice fish, good picture

5. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Nice fish thanks for the pic.

6. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    You fish with trout much? I have caught some trout in the steams while getting sunnies and always thought they might work... but usually throw them back since they are a sport fish.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    good stuff Mark!!!

I have never used trout, would cut trout be a better fall bait since it is oily???

8. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use trout as much as I can. I call it filet mignon. You just have to be aware of the regulations on using them for bait. They have to be caught by legal means and be in season. Or if you catch them at stocked ponds like I do you have to have a receipt for the trout. And you better have a rod that is capable of throwing big bait I use trout some times 12 inches and up.Keeping them alive is real hard also I use a cooler with ice and an arerator try to use them alive but if they die I still have caught fish on them. Blacky are trout native to where you fish for flatheads cause if so I think you will catch some monster flatties on them.

9. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thaks for posting the pics, nice lookin' flathead!

10. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I fish the same river he does and there are trout streams that dump into the river. I personally never caught a trout in the river, but I know they are in there in certain areas since my friend work in the environmental field and said when they were shocking the water, so many random fish were being documented. Trout was pretty surprisining since the water gets very warm in the summer.

I do know of a stream near my work that has a bunch of trout holdovers... so what would be the best way to hook them up? I normally use Gamukatsu 6/0 or 7/0 circle hooks for sunnies and chubs. I think I am going to try to go out with more chubs then sunnies since I have pretty good luck with them (ones in the 6-7" range)

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Mark,

Trout are native to the Schuylkill. I may I have to try this. Sunnies are getting harder to catch.

Also Mark, what is the latest you've caught a flathead in PA??? I want to know when to quit!!!

12. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I never tried trout before. I bet it would work real good.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    way to go Mark, nice pics

14. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Another nice fish was caught tonight . I am starting to think we have caught this fish for the third time in the last week.Another 23 pounder was caught tonight by my friend Dave. Trying to compare it to the 24 pounder mentioned earlier in this post.Fish was caught on stepped on bluegill almost cast in the exact same spot. And I have another fish at 23 pounds in the thread "fishing with a coworker. I think it is the same fish it just wont quit eating. Let me know what you think. Here is pics.

Attached Files:

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Looks like the same fish to me.

That has happended a few time throughout this year. I would catch a fish and it would have my hook, leader, and swivel from a previous breakoff.

these flatheads don't learn thier lesson!!!

16. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I caught one the other night with my hook and leader also about three nights after I lost it the first time.

17. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    those are some nice looking cats. I definitly miss fishing in PA

18. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I got the same one in two nights awhile back, broke my leader off and had about 6" of line with a nice circle hook in his jaw. I am glad I caught him again since I was able to take my hook out and put it back in the tackle box since those things get pricy after awhile.

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Aaha! Now we know your secret! You keep a fish tied up at that spot and keep taking new pictures with it!:lol: :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :tounge_out: :smile2: :wink: :cool2: :lol:

20. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I would never do that. Its just really strange since last tuesday 3 fish have been caught around the same weight. And I havent got one that size yet.:lol: :lol: 2 out of the three times the guys I took out with me have other big fish on and have lost them. Last night Dave had one on about 9 Pm that was putting up a hell of a fight and when it got close to shore and just spit the hook right out.Now if I could only catch something worth posting.