Monongahela River 2008 Fishing reports

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by zeboman, Feb 16, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Post all of your mon fishing reports here ,it will make it more convenient to keep up on the cat action on the MON.

2. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It was a great day today..I was down by the Clarton outflow..got into acouple small channels..but its a sign of life

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    you caught a couple channels,it won`t be long now i`m still going to wait until the middle of march or a warm day.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a feeling you Mon River guys are going to have a great Cat year! :big_smile: Having met and fished with a few of you I know how dedicated you guys are it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the new state record Flathead come from the Mon! :cool2:

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have been talkin` about that for years,we have had some real hawgs hooked but never land them for one reason or another,maybe this is the year! One thing is for sure I will put as much time in as I can,I LOVE FLATHEAD FISHING ON THE MON.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It would be nice but my biggest problem is finding time,I`m still gonna` fish my butt off when I can.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Was out today for a little bit. Got skunked! Water temp was 44 degrees.
    Probably be another week before I get out again.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Was out again today and soaked a couple of shrimp for an hour and half.
    Got skunked again. I should have checked the weather before I went out cause it snowed practically the whole time. Didn't get any bites but by next week I have a feeling it's gonna pick up.

9. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    waynesburgjay didnt you know shrimp are better in cocktail sauce than in the mon river..........if you guys get into any really big ones give me a yell it aint that far away for me.

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'll keep u posted.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks for the reports

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Was out for a few hours today fished a tributary to the mon (muddy creek).
    Was trying for some white bass to use for bait. Didn't catch any white bass but I did manage to get a largemouth about 15 inches. A couple other guys were there when I got there and they caught 3 smallmouth.
    Looks like its starting to turn on a little.
    I'll definitely be out on Sat. with some cutbait and try for channel cats.

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Out again today and caught a carp a white bass and a walleye up in a feeder creek. It was 2 degrees warmer in the feeder@ 49 deg.
    The wind was blowing right up the river and there were plenty of whitecaps or I would have fished the river. I was surprised the river wasn't up more.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Fished the river today for a few hours at Maxwell Locks.
    Caught 4 walleye , 2 suckers, and 2 crappies. the one crappie was 13 inches.
    Their were 2 other guys fishing with minnows and they were gettin the walleye too.

Attached Files:

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the reports Jay! :big_smile: Keep 'em coming! :cool2: Nice Crappie!

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for all of your reports guys, keep them coming and add some photos of your catches.I hope to be adding a few reports of my own very soon, I`ll keep you guys posted.

17. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    i was out saturday fishing for stripper on the mon with my dad and fellow BOC member capt. spaulding when we got into a mess of cats we got 7 channels and 2 flatheads one being 12lbs.we also caught 4 strippers,4 walleyes,3 smallmouth,1 sheephead and broke of a couple not a bad way to start the season off i think ill go out this weekend lookin for FLATHEADS ONLY i cant wait any longer.CATCHIN HOGS "mark" you read this call me up time time is here me and justin have been stockin up on the secret bait all winter the time is now give me a call.oh ya we caught them all on 6lb line and 8ft ultra light rods with creek chubs.

18. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The time has definety come.Glad to hear they are hitting chubs got a mess of them waiting to go for a swim.Dont say that hot bait to loud people might be listening.Went out today myself but didnt have no luck. Had 2 bass come up and chase a chub but they ran into each other and i missed LOL. Was good to finally get some river fishing in. Congrats on the first flathead hope it is a start to a good year of fishing.

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hot bait? Whats the secret hot bait? LOL! :smile2:

20. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ll keep an eye out for him Scott we fish the same waters.LOL!!!