Monofilament or nylon cast net

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stumpjumper, Nov 9, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have always used mono and accidently ordered a nylon cast net. What do you guys think about the pros and cons?

Also what is a preferred mesh size for catching shad and bigger? I usually throw 3/8".

Thanks

2. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Mono nets can be abused for years and still get by .Nylon nets work better but need care .I like to rinse my nylon net in fabric softener and hang to dry after each use I do the same with my poles .A little care and they will last a life time .My nylon net is as old as my Mittchel 300 reel ,About 35 yrs.
    bewell crmule
    PS I use a walmart mono net around oysters and hang ups
    they are cheep.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I made the same mistake a few years ago. IMO, shad can see a nylon net a lot better than they can a mono net, which gives them more time to get out from under it. Also, it doesn't seem to sink as fast. Don't like the nylon cast nets. Mesh size depends on what size shad you want to catch. I use 3/8", and still find small shad stuck in the net like it was a gill net. And small catfish, in the spring. They're fun to get out of the net!

4. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    mono-3/8"

Jim

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am terrible with any throw net but I have to say that I can throw the nylon better than the mono. They cost more but seem to give me less grief than the mono. I suppose it just depends on what you feel more comfortable with.

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I just learned to throw a cast net ( thanks to JW's tutorial in the library ) but the one I have is a 6 ft., 3/8 mesh, mono net from Wally World.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I started with a nylon. I recently bought a mono and I really like the mono better. For me it dose not tangle as much and the shad fall out of it a lot easier when you empty it. I like the way my nylon net stores away though. The mono one is big and bulky when it comes time to put it away. I have a 3 gallon bucket I keep it in. My nylon one you can wrap up and put about anywhere.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i hated my nylon cast net, if the shad were not directly on the surface they seemed to get away easier. I bought a 5' wally world special mono net and i love that one. Easy to throw and repair when i get on a stump.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    That's exactly my take on cast nets as well. The nylon is more easily spotted by the baitfish...and it sinks too slow.

I ordered an Old Salt mono 4' cast net from Cabelas...I haven't ripped it in 3 years of heavy...sometimes daily use.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I like the mono nets better, I have and throw a 2.5 footer, 3 footer, 5 footer, 6 footer, 8 footer and a 10 footer. All of them have there place. The most common mesh is 3/8 but a 5/8 would be nice when your throwing in 30 ft. water, it would sink faster and wouldn't close as much as the 3/8.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have always used mono. I have nets that are 3/8" to 1/2".