Mono Vs Flourocarbon

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by MadKater, Aug 10, 2006.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Which do you prefer as a leader material? and why?
    I have always used Mono for my leaders but i keep hearing people say flourocarbon is the way to go,yet no one has been able to explain to me why its better than mono for your leaders?

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't see no real advantage of flourocarbon over mono. If you get a nic in the flourocarbon it's not going to be "invisible" so to speak anymore.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Kris theoretically Flouro is less visible than mono.It was also stiffer in its early formulations but has softened a great deal lately to the point that Flouro lines will be available soon.For catfishing it isn't worth the extra cost.PS can you PM me as I have a question I want to ask and you have no contact info.:big_smile:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Jim Hit It Right On The Head :wink: . The Whole Reason For Flourocarbon Is That It Is Or Nearly Is Invisible To Fish. Just As Jim Said Too, The Catfish Can't See Regular Line Anyway.

I Totally Agree That It Is Not Worth The $$ Difference While Catfishing, Bass, Snook, Yes But Not Catfish:wink:

6. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    My #1 reason for using flouro is, it's superior abrasion resistance. Also, it doesn't stretch quite as much as mono. In Florida, I fish for sheepheads around the barnacles on bridge pilings. I have a reel spooled with Vanish flouro. just for that.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i like to use braid as my leaders.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well, My guess is thst it's because it has no stretch and is more "invisable"
    Personnaly I only use it flyfishing for leader and tippett. I used to swear by that Berkly transition line but now it's more like I swear at it! Too many tangles in my opinion!

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    It's the only leaders I use personally!

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    for leaders flourocarbon has less stretch,far better abrasion resistence and sinks faster which is good for slip float rigs.

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have been using high dollar berkley vanish flourocrapon and will never use the stuff again. I have lost two big fish due to unseen nicks or so called abrasions in the line. Regular mono to me is just as good for leaders. The price difference just is not there. Of course it could be just the brand.LOL

12. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    ive always used mono, for the simple fact that i never had a problem with it and its just as strong if not stronger than the other's