Mono VS Braided.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by jagdoctor1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Ok I have read several sites where people say that they hear we use 30-40 pd mono line down here in the lower colorado area and they don't know why because flatheads always run into the tules or structure. I did the other night notice that I had quite a bit of damage to my leader from the rocks in the spot I was fishing. This told me that maybe I should consider steel leaders. The people on some of these articles are saying that for fish that run into structure you should use braided line. I however don't understand this theory ( note I have never really fished braided line) It would seem to me that braided line would fray easier than mono against rocks or sticks. Am I incorrect? What is everyones opinion on these to competitors and also how does it cast on a large baitcast real? Thanks in advance!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I personally like PowerPro braided. I've used it so long now the stretch in mono drives me nuts. I've broken braided on rocks, swore I'd never use it again, put on mono, and broke mono in the rocks, so I'm staying with braided. I honestly don't know how much (if any) better it is on rocks, but I do know I've broken a lot of branches off of snags with my 65# braided and brought them to the boat. I trust braided around wood, but I think with rocks it's just a matter of how the line happens to catch in them, braided or mono. Good Luck!

Branden

3. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I like using 50lb Power Pro with a 30lb Big Cat mono snell. This way you save on loseing your sinkers.

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I spooled a couple of my reels with Ande 80# braid to keep the diam. to match the reels and used 30# mono as a leader....I just couldn't stand the "grinding" sound the braid made when I reeled it in...I stripped all my braid off and went back to mono....But the braid was good serviceable line....However, on hangups, I sometimes broke the braid, but mostly the mono leader...That's another reason I went back to mono.....So, now I have all my reels spooled with either 25# or 30# Ande Premium....Still breakin lines on hangups.....Dwight

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Anyone with saltwater braid experience as to how it stands up to Oyster shell,Barnacles,Coral or the concrete of some artificial reefs and the sand abrasion of surf fishing compared to mono.? Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have 30lb Ande pink on my reels. I really like it. I use 50lb Shakespear Outcast (the cheap stuff) for my leaders.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have 30lb Ande pink on my reels. I really like it. I use 50lb Shakespear Outcast (the cheap stuff) for my leaders. Seems to work very well. Haven't broken a fish off since I've been using that setup. Caught fish up to 50lbs so it holds up pretty well. I know some others do it, but I would never, ever, ever use a smaller line for the leader than a main line. Your leader is what's going to be taking the most abuse from the fish/cover so that's where you need the real strength in your terminal tackle.

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    While I have used 120 steel & 80 lb. & even 120 lb.mono. for leaders,I have often used light leader material.I have used lines lighter and heavier as drop lines when the situation calls for it.I found this very popular in many places around the country and around the world.It is all up to conditions and what you are fishing for and if you do not want to spend a lot of time and money re spooling while others are fishing.With the proper knowledge of knots you can fish nearly any line of any size without re spooling,changing out spools or carrying along ex-tra gear by simply changing out short lengths of line.It ain;t perfection or a perfectly balanced rig,but few of us have the knowledge to judge according to the pros.Very,very few of us have the perfectly matched,rod,reel and line for what we are fishing for.We have what we can afford or what we like and that is great.We are happy.You are using what you like and think best for your fishing just as we all do.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i prefer braided. i use 40# remington and ive never had a fish break it. i have lost the fish of a lifetime on 20# mono. it all depends on your reel. if you have a baitcaster, id say braided is best. JMO.

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    To answer Peewee's question specificly, yes I use Braid for Saltwater applications. I have fished in water to 200ft. and did not have a problem with it. I have got hung and the drift of the boat along with the tention on the line has alomst broke the rod using Braid. This was in waters with heavy rock formations that caught your lures as well. When Braid is pulled across sharpe areas, it does not have the break resistance of Mono! Yet it does allow for more strength with a lower diameter. These are known facts, but I use Braid on 99.5% of my reels and feel that I am better off by doing so. I have never lost a fish due to breakage of the line on Braid. I have however had Hook-Pulls that were due to a Drag that was too tight. My Salt water reels are spooled with 100 and 200lb. Power Pro line. My Fresh water reels are spooled with 30, 50 and 80lb. Power Pro line. I USE Braid and this is also on my Leaders.

HOPPY4

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Any specific Brand of Braid you like for leaders.Will braid replace Steel solid wire with a Haywire twist leaders?,Braided steel? I often hear that it is stronger than steel.I was wondering about fish such as Pike,Spanish & King Mackerel,The Jacks,All of the Pelagic fish,Weakfish,Red fish,Flounder,etc.Western Atlantic and Gulf fish in general.Yea,I know.The term "Western Atlantic"don't get used much on here.Also,how do you keep the 30 lb.braid from cutting your fingers when you cast with a spinning reel? Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I use both mono and braid. Mono on reels that have a higher line capacity like the Abu 7000, Penn 220 GTO or the Penn 320GT2 because I have gone to 40 pound line. For the smaller reels like the Abu 5600 and 6500 I have gone to 65# Spiderwire Ultracast. I like the strength and smaller diameter of the braid on the smaller capacity reels. I do however keep the drag on the 6500's set for say 25 pound line to keep from destroying my equipment.

Cheez

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Peewee, I am not casting the 30lb. Power Pro when fishing in Salt Water. I will most likely be fishing with 100 or 200lb. line at this point. In July 2006, we did fish from a pier and was using lures to catch Cole Fish with 50lb. line. This was not a question of depth and the distance was 50-70yd. out. Once we started to fish from the boats, I used the Baitcaster rods specificly. Casting was maybe 10-15yd. away from the boat and sometimes a simple drop over the side. Just as a carry on, I do use the 50-80-100lb. braid for Carp fishing and will nominally cast 80yd. with 3oz. of lead and bait without question. The occasionally cast of 100+ yd. will take more concentration, but the technique is the same. Peewee, I realize that your medical condition is a needed consideration. With that, I have been told and will look further for an attachment that can be added to Spinning reels. This gadget will allow you to pre-set the holder of the line until you actually cast it out. You finger are NO Longer in Direct contact with the line during the Cast. It is an attachment that is screwed onto the reel and the actual casting motion is what releases the line. I do not know this product as a personal item, but read this in another forum. I will do the reserch and get back to you.

J. Hopkins
    (HOPPY4)

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD