Mono vs Braid Leaders

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mr Okie, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Who uses what and why??:confused2: :confused2: what are the advantage of Mono vs Braid or Braid vs Mono as a leader???Inquiring minds want to know....:big_smile: :big_smile:

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use mono main line and mono leaders. Why? Cause it works for me. :wink:

3. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use braid all around, never been let down by braid.

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I use a braid main line and a mono leader.

I like the mono leader for abrasion resistance.

5. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    braid main mono leader. Keeps from fishes mouth from fraying braid

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I use braid on both... works for me :wink:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    #80 braid = main line
    #30 mono = sinker drop line
    #65 dacron = leader

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    #80 braid = main line
    #50 berkley big game = leader

Never had a problem....

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Mono backing on reel,first 100 yards.Braid main line,mono leader.

10. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    #80 braid = main line
    #50 or #60 berkley big game = leader
    Braid line main so i won't have to replace often
    Mono line leader won't cut fish mouth as bad.
    Also have trouble braid main-braid leader tangles alot.
    with mono no tangle

11. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I am noticing that several are down sizing the leader. I am now curious as to what is your reasoning behind this??? I have always used as heavy or heavier leader than the mainline....by down sizing the leader wouldn't this create the weakest link at the most important part of the rigging. :confused2: :confused2:

My rigging

80# PP Braid Mainline. (Use to have some 50# braid but not anymore)

80# Andes mono leader.

25 # P Line Sinker Line

SPRO #2 swivel..230#

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    That is the way I see it too Scott. Your terminal gear is as strong as its weakest link.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My rigging:

Always
    -------------------
    Main line: 65-100lb Braid
    Sinker Drop: 30lb Mono

Anchoring
    -------------------
    200lb aramid fiber braid leader or
    50lb fluorocarbon leader
    200lb rated swivel

Drifting
    -------------------
    30 lb mono or fluorocarbon leader
    100lb rated swivel
    Experimenting with various snaps on the end of main line for quick change of pre rigged leaders.

I never use regular spectra or dyneema braid for leader, I did that for a few years and lost a couple of good fish. That was a lesson in how poorly braid handles abrasion while under tension.

For one thing, big mono and fluorocarbon are difficult to tie good knots in. 40lb mono is already twice the diameter of 100lb braid, providing pretty good abrasion resistance, and with most of our reels only having ~20lbs of drag, there is little additional benefit to having heavier line once abrasion resistance is adequately addressed. Use a lighter leader and drop line, and a snag will usually claim a hook or sinker, but not both.

Personally I’ve found using a lighter leader to be a big benefit while drifting in heavy current, as you can quickly snap it off, re rig, and have bait back in the water in about 60 seconds. With 100lb main line and 200lb leader it can get pretty hairy when line is stripping off at 2mph and you can’t get ahead of it to wrap the line around something and break it off. On the other hand, I’ll go heavy when anchored, and just accept the fact that if my hook hangs up I’ll loose everything. I’ve never once had my 200lb aramid leader break, and it’s great for tying knots, too.

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    1/2 inch steel cable = main line
    3/4 inch steel cable = leader

Series 4HS
    Helical / Spur Gear Power Winch (to horse them hawgs in) :cool2:

Up to 56000 lb Capacity :wink:

:smile2::smile2:

15. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas

Har Dee Har Har......

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well around here we use 80-100lb braided line ( fixing to try the new tug-of-war braided..heard it does not bleed the color & lose the coating on your 2nd outing:wink:) anyway braided to a swivel.then 80-100lb leader-line(mono) carolina rig:tounge_out: drifting we do the same except the weight is on the bottom & hook on top...I will say this for those that still use regular off the spool mono for leader line you need to seriously check out actual Leader-mono ..it will tie knots easily & has little to no memory:wink: It is well worth the investment:wink:

17. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always looked at it that way as well, but where I fish there is a lot of brush. The first time I ever tried braid, I ended up leaving nearly an entire spool of it out in the water for others to keep getting caught on. When I would get hung up, all I could do was wrap it around my pliers and pull, and it kept breaking right in front of my pliers. That taught me to use a mono leader, but if I go with something too strong, I will likely face the same problem.

Now when I use braid, it's usually 30# to 50# with a 25# or 30# BBG mono leader. I like the toughness and low memory of braid and the abrasion resistance of mono serves me well while adding just a little stretch if I need it. I'm sure that first time I hook into something that I can't fight up to the bank without breaking the line, I'll cuss and change my strategy. :wink:

18. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thursday night I lost a very nice flat just a few feet from the boat due to a braid leader, I'll never use braid as a leader again. No abrasion resistance.

19. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a braid main line and a mono leader.I like the mono leader for abrasion resistance on rocks and the fishes mouth.

20. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Scott I use pretty much the same setup except my sinker line is 30lb mono. I use braid on my main line because of the line cap. you get w/ braid and you get a direct connection w/ the fish on the other end weather your using circle hooks, j-style or khales. I use a mono leader just so there is some strech and the fish doesn't throw the hook which will still happens from time to time just because of where it was hooked thats just fishing. Now something that I think everyone is forgetting about is the rod that your using w/ all of this, If you like using broomstick rods w/ a little action at the top then you probally need a mono leader for sure just to handle the impact of a strike but if your using a rod has a lot of action or bend in it you can probally get away w/ using a braided leader. But then again I know Danny uses braided leaders w/ surge rods not sure what action he's using. It really depends on the water your fishing if your boats setting in some rippin a$$ current I personally do not think it matters to the fish and some places you have no choice but to use a heavy action rod just for the leverage you need to get some lift on the fish but if your setting in the slack water then yes the think the game has to change a little bit unless there just knocking the $hit out the rods. Another thing I hear all the time is the fish broke me off or the fish broke the rod in two pieces!! I wasn't there so I know what happen for sure and I don't know who's tieing what knots or whatever but i'm here to tell you if have your DRAG set right that should never happen. I know there will be times that the fish will drag you into something and cut your line but break offs are probally human error 100% of the time for example: not checking your knots, leaders, swivels, main line, hooks, etc... for any defects almost everytime you cast. Just remember when that 100lber hits you better have your $hit right.

It really comes all down to what Bob said earlier use what works for you! Find your own way and you will feel a lot better about things when things aren't going right because atleast it was your idea and you don't have to be mad at someone else because they told you to do it this way or that way which makes some people think they were blowing smoke up thier a$$. Trial and error is the only way!