Mono Vs. Braid Fishing Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by bradley_G, Nov 7, 2008.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Okay guys where do you stand. Mono or braid? and what #test do you prefer?

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Mono has better abrasion resistance. Braid will cut real easy on rocks. Braid is great, as long as no rocks are involved.

3. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Try some 30# P LINE. Super strong, high abrasion resistance and low memory. I have it on all my reels.

4. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I prefer mono and I like 40 lb. big game.

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    40# mono is a little big for 6500 reels. :wink:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    30 LB mono for me Big Game. I have been using it for years and have had no issues

8. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Yeah, I dont think I'll go up to 40lb mono on those reels, I'll probably load them up with some 20lb line or even 17 until I can find some fish that will break it. I'll re-string when its time for the gathering. Everyone go to the gathering.

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Be too late then. :big_smile:

10. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Mono, I use stren 17# for downlining and flat lines.

I may switch to braid for casting topwater plugs like red-fins/ spooks. Have had several fish hit so aggressively that they just snapped my line! Thinking 30# braid might be the ticket for topwater strips!

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I like and use both.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I know I have found out that lesson many times. I used to used 20LB test because it is so much smoother to operate, but I have discovered that the 30 LB makes a world of difference

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you want to use mono I would use Berkley Big Game or Ande's 30lb or if you wanted to use braid I would use Power Pro Just my 2's

14. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I only use Braid now. I currently use Berkley Fireline XDS 80# one reel all the others have 100,150 and 200# Power Pro.

15. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Has anybody ever tried P Line? I like it better than Ande or Big Game.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use both mono and braid.. I do think it's real hard to beat a good 30# mono. I've been using Quattro Camo, real impressed with it, and also I use s30-50# Big game. Like them all

I use 50-80# braid-Power pro, and I like it also, but, it's not as resistant to abuse it seems, but, I really like the no-memory, and the castability of it.

17. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    That is some GOOD STUFF. Love it!!!

Changed out from Berkely Big Game to that. Happy I did.

18. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use mono and braid and the only draw back Ive found in the braid is the price.........a 2000 yd spool of 80 lb Spiderwire can be 250 bucks but you can spool 10 or more reels easily. As far as being abrasion resistent.......I switched after watching saltwater guides fishing for sheephead wrap several fish around pilings covered with barnacles and still manage to get the fish back...........most monos would have broke the minute they touched those shells. Knots are harder to tie and you may have to put some mono backing on the reel first..........but when it comes down to really big fish in tough cover, flourcarbon or braid is the only way to go for me. No line memory to worry about..........smaller diameter.......and not nearly as prone to sunlight damage.

19. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I use 50# braid for casting topwater for big stripers. I've had the same issues with over-aggressive fish. For catfishing, I'm all about the 30# Berkeley Big Game. I'm like some of the other guys on here. No issues with it at all. The only oddball in the rod collection is a big surf rod with 100# Cajun Red. Still don't know why I've got such heavy line on it. I guess I was bored one day and thought "What the hell...."

20. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    that p line is good stuff. I used it alot in saltwater for king mackerel fishing. I fish alot of Stren original for catfish, it still has one of the highest knot strength and abrasion resistance of all mono. I have tried nearly every kind of mono out there and came back to stren original 30lb for 99% of my catfishing. I read up on lots of reviews and test and it is always at the top, and have tested it myself with a drag scale hundreds of times. I have several huge spools of it in the blue flourescent color. I am playing with some braids, mostly in saltwater. So far the Sufix performance braid in 40lb and 80lb is better than Power Pro, and in 50lb the Tuf Line xp is the smallest and best