mono to braid and vice versa

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Hunt4lyf, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Which knot is the best (in your opinion) for tying a 20-30 lb mono backing to 40 lb power pro and then the 40 lb power pro to a 50 lb shock leader?

I've searched here, google and elsewhere and there's the double uni, crazy alberto, simple simon, fu manchu, spicy pickle, etc... I just want a good knot that won't let go when I bust a big guy. Simple to tie would be nice :wink:

Thanks, Dennis

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve had good luck with the double uni.It aint too complicated to tie,some of them like the bimini might be stronger,but you,ll spend half the night tying them.:wink:

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    mono backing to braid uni to uni

braid to mono leader tie an overhand knot in the mono next pass the braid through the knot and tie a 9-12 turn uni and cinch it down now tighten the overhand knot and pull them together trim as close as you can and it'll hold. just make sure you tighten the overhand knot good before you pull them together.

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
  5. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks for the replies guys, it helps out alot.

Thanks for the site NJ, looks like some good info.

MRMARK, I believe I read your article in insider catfishing recently and this sounds like the know you recommended in the article, looked simple to tie and if you're saying it's a good knot I'm going to believe you, for sure.

Pat, the double uni is the one I was planning on using, thanks :cool2:

6. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    thanks for the kind words. the knot is an easy one to tie i usually use 20lb braid and 40lb mono reason being the overhand knot cuts the break strength almost in half so i double the mono break strength so if you're using 50lb braid try 60 or 80lb mono.

7. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Hey MRMARK, I went out catfishing yesterday and your knot for braid to mono held up great. I didn't get any cats since I was fishing middle of the day and it hit 104 but I did get it snagged on my second cast and I ended up wrapping the braid around a shovel handle about 10 times and just pulled it right out. I thought for sure it was going to break since it was really stuck and I was pulling hard.

Thanks again, Dennis

8. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
  9. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    dennis i'm guessing the knot didn't break. funny thing i was out fishing today and broke off my 40lb leader so i had some 25lb and tied that on and got hung up again and went to pull it and it broke but this time the shock not held and the leader broke at the swivel. as much as i hateto breakoff i loose 1 out of every 4 leader and all the other 3 break at the swivel. and there's a reason for it. since braid doensn't stretch a slow steady pull stretches the mono to it's breaking point and if that overhand is tied tight enough not to slip you'll get most of them back.

10. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

For mono to power pro, the first picture, then I use a Crane Swivel on the power pro to mono