Mono question, weight question,

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by howardstern, Jun 29, 2006.

1. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So when I tie my palomor knot on 30 pound mono it has a curl at the ends, what am i doing wrong? i wet the knot but keep getting this curl at the ends where it connect to the hook,,

Does it matter if i hook a cat of gils or in the mouth like i see a lot of folks doing to weigh the fish accurat.

HS

2. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    With the thicker mono you really have to get the line wet to avoid burning it. I use 50 lb mono as a leader and when i tie my polomar knot i have the knot in my mouth and slowly cinch it down. The key is alot of slobber,and to cinch it down real slow to avoid friction burns. Hope this helps.

3. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    yeah, you really have to pull the short end with your teeth and the long end to the rod with your hand at the same time with a lot of slobber

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    so do i need to slobber on my line when tying a improoved clinch knot with 40lb big game????

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most definately YES!

And pull slowly. The faster you pull it tight the more heat is produced weakening the line.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    CRAP

guess i need to ree-do some of my knots.

dag gonnet:ah: :beat_brick:

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    All the illistrations I've seen on the palomar knot show a tight overhand knot before cinching. This has never worked for me. I always make the knot larger than needed and when the loop comes over the hook I start pulling slowly so I can stop and re-adjust the knot before it gets to tight so the loop is right up aginst the main line and there is no slack left. Then its safe to slobber on and pull tight. But you have to pull on both the tag end and main line at the same time you are pulling on the hook to get the proper knot.

8. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I second the s man. I do the exact same thing.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I use a small pair of needle nose pliers to pull the slack on the tail end, the loop you will just have to wok out. I have the same problem sometimes, just have to pull it up and cinch it tighter.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well howard(lol) you got the spit on your knot problem, so here is the weighing answer thats been skipped. it is very important that you stay clear of the gills. they are very delicate and crucial to the fishes well being. it is always better to hook the scale through the lower jaw.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Well said if you are going to release the fish do not damage the gills. even if the fish appears healthy the gills can set up an infection and kill the fish later on.

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Improved clinch knots aren't recommended for line over 12lb test so I would definitely be careful if I were you.