Mono or braided for snagging?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Believer, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok guys season is quickly approaching. I have my hooks & sinkers, but i'm thinking of using a different line. My penn 309 is currently spooled with 50lb Berkley big game line.
    What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Eric

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Eric, all the folks I talked to down here at the lake last year were using braid in the 100 plus class. Several were using 150lb Power Pro. Good luck out there!;)

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've heard that braided is better, but don't have a lot of experience with it.
    I tried some spider wire & hated it, the stuff seemed to stick to itself & wouldn't cast. I catapolted a lot of sinkers into the Mississippi thanks to that stuff! LOL

Eric

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Believer,

Braid is definitely better, IMHO.

As far as snagging goes, all my Spoonie reels are outfitted with 100# PowerPro. Now an issue you will run into at many snagging places is getting snagged on the bottom. When that happens with braided lines the whole situation changes.

#1 at near or greater than $20 worth of line on a big reel, you don't want to break off at the reel during a snag.
    #2 PowerPro can easily cut through skin or cut off fingers. Always carry a pole of wood or some similar material to wrap the line around to break.
    #3 If snagging from a boat, it is impossible to break high pound PowerPro without moving the boat and dragging the anchors out of place.

The way I handle all these issues using a braid line is to incorporate a leader on the end. The leader takes the brunt of the nicks and such when fishing in rocks and rough cover, plus allows me to use a smaller test strength to develop a sweet area for line breakage, when one is trying to break out of a snag. Best to break at the leader and not lose $3 worth of line.

For snagging all the reels we use have 100# PowerPro, and our leaders vary. For bank fishing I might use a 50#-60# leader to put up with the abrasions. From the boat we use 40# in most conditions, and 20-30# in areas where we are forced to fish where there are many snags.

And the beauty of the heavy PowerPro for catfishing is you can use the same reel to chase everything from channels to monster flatties. You can easily attach a leader of 20# Big Game line and the cat is none the wiser when he is biting that 3 feet above the hook is 100# hi-vis yellow PowerPro.

1 reel can cover infinite situations by merely changing the leader.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i would say power pro is the best superline. its probobly good for snaging because there is no stretch

6. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Tulcat just about said it all. I use 100 lb Power Pro due to the no stretch. Learned the hard way when I lost a few yards of Power Pro after getting snagged to use that 60 pound leader. Darn good advice as far as I'm concerned.

7. scum_bucket

scum_bucket New Member

State:
    Texas
    Me personally i like the mono line. Its done good for me the past few years so i dont see any need to change it.

8. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I've never snagged before but for some reason i do not like braided at all. In the mighty Miss there are tons of rocks and braided feems to fray easily on contact with rocks. I've always used mono and always will. Hope this helps:crying:

9. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Since you are going to be casting i would use Mono. Braid is always harder for me to cast since it is lighter and thinner.

10. fishmania

fishmania New Member

State:
    kentuky
    mono here in the ky we can not snag from a boat so you tend to snag the bottom a lot so i like 50 lbs mono so you can breake off if you have to

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I can't snag from a boat either, but in my case it's poorboy-itis! LOL
    I know what you mean about getting snagged a lot. Even 50 lb big game is tough to break!

Eric

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First, whenever I'm using braided line, I always use a mono leader of lighter weight so it will break before the braided line. That stuff's too expensive to be breaking off.

Since it doesn't have any stretch, it seems like braided line would be better for snagging, but I've talked to several serious snaggers that have tried it, and every one of them said they didn't like it; they had all switched back to mono.

13. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I'm still new to it all, but the buddy who introduced me to it (and his whole family) swear by 50lbs mono...and none of that $20 a reel stuff either. Go to wal-mart buy el'cheapo 50lbs for 2-3 bucks (buy several of them) put a whole spool on the real and when it gets short...throw it away and re-spool.

Might not be the best...but the KISS principle has its virtues.

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Houston you've got it figured out. That's exactly what we do. Cheaper is better when your going to leave it all at the river anyway. Vern

15. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like that power pro for catfishing but like quincyfisher said when you snag with braided it will prolly fray easy from the rocks. I just got a new catfish/snagin pole and i put 40# trilene big cat on it its tough line.

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Hey there kickin wing, what kind of rod & reel did you get? What about hooks & sinkers?

Eric

17. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Believer i am excited to go and snag this year its my first time. I bought a 7 ft Quantum Blue Runner rod with a Blue Runner Saltwater reel. It is a lot stiffer than my other catfish pole that is why i thought it would be good for snagin. Maybe some time ill see you up at Meyer and you can show me the tricks of snaging. Snaging season is comin up the 15th. I bought some 10/0 treble hooks and i have some 4 ounce weights.

18. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Only 2 more days before snaggin Believer!

19. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You know it! :cool:

Eric

20. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Hey Kickin Wing, hope you get your limit on your 1st trip, you'll be hooked for life, I am. Good Luck to all who are lucky enough to snag on opening day:thumbsup: