Mono or Braid ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Fishing Addict, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Im lookin for the opinion of other catfisherman (flats to be specific). I need to respool my reels this season, Im runnin spyderwire stelth 50 lb. Id like to know what other flatfisherman prefer to use, and why they prefer one over the other?:0a35:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've started using braid this year on my big cat rods and like it better than mono.

For one it's smaller in dia. and you can get more on your reel and know it's there if ya need it when fishing deep or fighting a big fish.

Two it's stronger with less stretch than mono so even with circle hooks you get a quicker hook set.

Three it cast easier and further than mono.

I still put on a mono leader so the leader will break before my line or rod does.:eek:oooh:

If using a baitcasting set up just remember to wet the line before casting it or it can blister ya thumb.

3. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    personally i prefer mono, its cheap and easy to use (as long as you buy quality line). i like using cajun red about 20-30 ibs. but if your looking at fishing in a lot of cover then braid may be the way to go. at the end of the day its all about what your comfortable with.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I perfer #100 braid for a mainline with a #80 shock leader about 8' long. Alot of guys my way like to mono but I have been using this set-up for years for grouper, snapper and redfish down in Fl. I have caught goliath grouper over #450 on a #100 mainline and #300 leader with this set-up, so I know if I do hook into the state record I can get him in.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm mainly a Flathead Fisher and have always used Mono. I haven't had any problems. Depending on the areas, structure I fish dictates how often I re-spool. I use 30# Big Game Electric Blue, Trilene Big Cat 30# Bright Green and Mossy Oak Low Vis Green 30# for Flatties. Lower # test for Channel but not a lot.

One big reason I don't use Braid Is that I've never really used it. I started off with Mono and stuck with that because I know that It works well for me. Not that I have anything at all against Braid. :wink::big_smile:

6. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Thanks folks, I think im gion to stick with braid. Where im fishin there is a lot of heavy current, & a lot of big rock. Like I said above, Im runnin 50lb spyderwire, and last friday+saturday nights I broke 3 off.:confused2:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck with it. From what I've heard is that fishing heavy structure and rocky areas Braid has a tendency to fray and break a lot. I can't say that for sure, just what I've heard. I'd at least use 5-10' of 40-50# Mono as a leader as it can take the abrasion better. JMHO!
    Best of Luck to you!!! Hope you get a big one!!!:big_smile:

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i use the same stuff. works good for me

9. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Trilene Big Cat 30# Bright Green is my line of choice, mainly for its blacklight visibility. I have lost probably 2 fish in the last 2 years due to fishing in cover and hooking a big fish, but feel I have caught many more because I can see my line from quite a distance without any bug attracting, fish frightning, lights. I tried some braid several years ago, but I had trouble with the line "digging" in the spool and not wanting to cast well 100% of the time. I couldn't find any to use with my blacklights either, this may not be the case now, I haven't looked lately. Whatever line you may choose, I hope you catch some big ones!

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    On spinning reels I use only braid. I need casting distance along with maximum amount of line I can fit.

On my 7000 I use mono only. Casting far isn't needed on this rod.

All leaders are always made of mono .

-Jim-