Mono or braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by coble9, Aug 25, 2007.

1. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wondering what everyone uses and what their experiences were. I just started catfishing this year and am currently using berkley big game 25# green. I was thinking about switching to spiderwire or something better next year. Thanks

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey Coble I do use Berkley Tri-Lene. I have two of my reels spooled with Suffix line seems to be good stuff and considered switching to Suffix. I haven't tried the braided stuff as of yet that maybe my next venture.....:wink:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I think you should do great wtih the Big Game. If yo do decide to try abraid, stay away from Spiderwire - I had nothing but terrible luck with it (snaps like sewing thread, NO abrasion resistance).

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree my friend had it last year kept snapping and breaking off. Ironically just had a converstaion with a passerby yesterday and he said the same exact thing. Although i have never used it myself.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Braid. PowerPro 65#. I love it. No stretch, you can feel everything the fish is doing, and it's easy to tie, not like working with the heavier test mono, which is a hassle. You also get more on a reel and it lasts longer. I have some reels that have had the same line on them for 2 years. I'm going to change them over this winter to 80#, but more because I want to than because the line has issues. No memory, either. Good Luck!

Branden

6. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I also use 65# power pro. I use red. I think it is the all around best line I have ever used. I was skeptical about braided because I of bad spider wire experiences back when it first came out. I have gotten past those dramatic moments and forged ahead.

Really though power pro is worth a shot

7. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use big game myself i tried braided line years ago and did not like it bt was not fishing for cats yet either. if i ever go to a 60 or 80# test i will use braided cause it aint as bulky, but as of now never caught a fish big enough that i needed it lol

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    As stated above,I tried the spiderwire and took it off within a week.Fast foward to 5 years ago when I tried power-pro....what a difference.Not as abrasive resistant as mono,but thats what leaders are for.Power-pro all the way.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I use Big Game 25# mono and Fireline 20# & 30# line.

10. Catfish Willy57

Catfish Willy57 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I've been using Power Pro #65 for two years with a 30lb mono leader. Great line, no memory and it casts forever.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use Ande #30 mono. It seems to work very well for me. It's pretty abrasion resistant and casts well and doesn't seem to have too much memory. I wouldn't ever use 65 or 80 b/c it's so difficult to break. I have a hard enough time breaking the 30 that I use now. Also you don't want to just cut the line and leave a bunch of the stuff in the water, just more stuff to get hung up on the next time you fish. One of the best bank spots I've ever fished has been completely ruined by too much old line in the water. You can land a big fish on 30 mono, believe me. 99% of fishermen will NEVER need 65lb line.

12. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Ande premium or tournament grade mono will serve you well.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have to agree on that part same here. They should make line that will dissolve if left in water for an extended amount of time kinda of like the stitches they put in your mouth at the dentist.....lol :crazy:

14. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I prefer mono(40 lb. big game), but I have reels spooled w/ braid also. If you use braid just be careful because it can cut your rod guides(depending on what they're made of).

15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Original Spiderwire braid is not too good. Spiderwire Stealth is equal to PowerPro but slightly less expensive. Spiderwire Ultracast is the best braid out IMHO. P-Line CXX Premium is the best mono out but is expensive. For the last month or more I have been experimenting with BPS Offshore Angler Tightline mono in 40# and love it. The price on the Tight Line can't be beat either.

Cheez

16. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For the past year I have experimented with gorilla braid, power pro, and mono. Power pro is the better of the two briads but mono is what I still prefer.