mono or braid

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 11, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there seems to be a big debate on circal hook hoohup ratios, using mono,they say the more give or bend you got the better hookup, if this is true im screwed im using circals with 65 powerpro, tight drag, heavy acton on one mediom hevy on the other, so any input ,this is why i qwit using circal hooks but now that im into bluecats its like lerning how to fish agin, there nothing like a flathead,i use kings on them with clickers somtimes i use circals

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You will be fine. I use nothing but #65 Power Pro and #7 or #8 octopus circle hooks and 99% of the fish I catch are blues. If any blue over #5 wants you bait, it will take it and all you have to do is take you rod out of the rod holder and pull him in. If they are just pecking around on your bait, you don't want them anyway. If you have a #25 to #50 blue take your bait, you main concern will be to keep you rod out of the river. I think you are sweating the small stuff. Relax and enjoy yourself. Good luck.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im prepared ill be there tomaro all day, so if your on the ill sid ill be there

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I run 65# also and do just fine. I don't set my drag down super hard because it wont take to much for the hook to set. I also don't set it real loose, like in free spool. I set them in the holders and then I grab my line and put it to where the rod bows decently hard, then lets out drag ( clicker on ).

On my Cajun lines I do the exact same thing. It works good for me is all I know but there surly will be different opinions on the subject.

-Jim-

5. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i find that 80# power pro (green or red) is a good all around choice but i also use ande's 60# mono leader(clear or green) to go for the big boys. That's a good set up for the illinois fiver all the way down to the jb bridge. I also find it makes a huge difference wether you are using a drop sinker rig or just a slip sinker. (bank style sinkers)

6. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    it all depends on whether or not you like to grab the rod and try to rip the fishes lip off using braid or mono and circles in that situation equals disaster more times than not so if you like to set the hook hard as soon as they hit stay away from the circles but braid or mono its not that big of a differance just a stretch issue mainly

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    theirs alot for me to learn, one thing is i always use a three way rig, does that affect your hookup with a circal,the hole line thing is over my faled attemts to get a fish to self hook on gammas, so this is kind of a post i should put under termanal tackle,,im going to try some team circals, their awsom and ive seen how they work,

8. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I use 65 and 80 lb power pro, love it.

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Braid will workj well with circle hooks but I also use a 80# to100# mono leaders alot.

10. RedSrt007

RedSrt007 New Member

State:
    CA
    I Use 100# w/ octopus circles 8/0

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i found that braid cuts your top lineguid realy fast, i sanded it out but man, i need a new rod for bluecats and a 12 foot rod, down on the river, them blues are deep, at least the bigones

12. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Jake be persistant and enjoy the journey, your blue will come! Thanks for the post!

13. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    power pro is good, but I really like suffix braid...couple bucks more, but I like the teflon coating on it vs the wax coating on powerpro

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    if your fishing around rock bottoms with ledges use big game mono line!! i've used braided lines and have lost fish from cut offs on rock bottom especially during low water!!

15. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the Big Game mono, but I don't have much experience with braid. I fish relatively fast current with plenty rocks and snags and the mono holds up pretty good under these conditions. Stay safe and keep on keepin' on!!!

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems like mono, to me doesent give you the lifting power due to strech, but ,im safe ih braid so far,not to many sharp,rocks, i keep em up, so they dont get down on the bottem,but, i had the cut a few times, d say 40 biggae is eqal o 60 braid for flatheads in rivers , with or lakes with sandbars, dams or wood cover,but in rock, id say mono i gues, so, i got both now

17. okiethumbburner

okiethumbburner New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use 5 or 6 octopuss hooks with 30 pd. mono. I have tried many differnt hooks including cicle hooks and nothing i have used has a better hookup ratio than the octopuss hooks

18. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circle hooks with catmaxx poles and a tight drag. Those catmaxx poles are the stiffest poles I have seen yet. With circle hooks if you can just keep yourself from trying to set the hook they are the easiest hooks in the world to use. I have seen many guys miss fish because they can't help themselves from trying to pull back, set the hook or pull the rod to the side to set the hook. When the cat is running just start to reel in and you will have a very high hookup ratio.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i lerned a trick to circal hooks, they dont have to hit hard i can pick my rod up while they tug and slowly sweep it and then it makes em hit harder, but ive found the team circals hookup alot better than gammas due to the wider gap, but i thoght about going to gamma ten ots

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use gamma also. Some circle hooks have a ridiculously small gap. I can't seem to find gamma 10/0 only 8/0 most places :angry: