Mono or Braid? Which is the better fishing line?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Shad Man, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Hey I figured I would start an interesting thread on what I thought would be a good topic. I have switched back to mono (Berkley Big Game) in the last few years after having great success with braid. Why you may ask? Well I am still in school and I can't afford to spool my five or six catfish reels with braid every spring at almost 30 bucks a pop (PowerPro/300yds). So I figured I would start a thread and see what you guys or gals think is the best or what is the best in certain situations. Who knows someone may know of a place to pick up line for a good price and could let some of us know.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm still using mono (Berkley Big Game), I just cant justify the price of braid and the extra work that goes along with using it if you do it right. Plus the braid is hard on stainless rod guides and the level wind guide on my reels. I know alot of people use it and rave its results, and it does have its advantages, but its just not for me. I can get 4,400 yds of BBG 40# for $75.00 compared to 1,500 yds of Power Pro 40# for $114.99. To me its not worth it. Just my opinion.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always used mono for catfishing. My only experience with the other types was Fusion I had on a couple of my spinning reels. I liked not having the line stretch, but found I had troubles breaking the line if I got a snag that I could get free. I ended up having to cut the line whereas with the mono I could usually break it off & not loose near as much line. I figured I would have the same problem fishing for cats...and 3x as many snags so I've decided to stay with mono. I haven't lost any fish or been disappointed with it so I do see a real reason to switch to braid.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Berkley Big Game Mono. I think a little stretch is a plus at times. And Braid has no flex unless you are using a long mono leader. I chose the pound test according to the size fish I'm targeting.

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I use BG also, I like the feel of braid, but, who can afford it? I can't hardly break a snagged line (especially in a boat) with 30# BG. It catches fish.

6. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    PowerPro all the way baby!!!! All my reels are lined w/ PowerPro. From my ultra-lights to my cat poles.

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    If youll watch Ebay sometimes you can catch a great deal on braided line, just be sure to calculate your shipping charge along with the price to see what kind of deal you are really getting. Thats where we get ours, you just have to look and look it ll come along

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    berkley bg here on all poles. the braid has too much feel for the way i fish. that feel goes both ways you know:wink: it has its place in the fishing world but "slip rig bottom fishing" isn't one of them,imo. this is especially true in the colder months(very spooky) up north here! its very rare, but at times even the flatsheads seamed to drop sooner from braid+clicker. braid, mite be a good thing for you drifters though. that no stretch probably would help the circle hooks and rod holders do their thing better. it would be a plus for the guy working a jig and cutbait down ledges searching for cats, to feel whats down there, too.

9. bream reaper

bream reaper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 80 lb powerpro but 40 lb mono would be plenty. I like the way braid doesn't have memory (coils). I also like the thinner diameter which creates less drag in the water which help fishing cross current. With high capacity reels you can get plenty of thick mono, but with smaller reels break off a couple times and you are down to the spool. But, mono is 1/2 the price A lot is personal preference.

Dan

10. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I agree with all of you there are benefits to both. In certain situations both mono and braid out outperform the other. But I agree breaking off braid in a boat is a pain. Also it can cut you to the bone if you are not careful. I also like the fact that with mono sometimes I get some stuff back after a snagup. Maybe using braid as a main line and mono as a leader would be a good solution to some common problems, but I agree with river scum the flatheads sometimes hate the felling of braid and a clicker.

11. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i switched over to braid about 2 years ago.. BUT.. i think im going back to mono.. i never did think about the braid/clicker issue, but now that the thought is in my head, i have noticed that ive caught more fish with mono on a clicker.. didnt think about it at all before, just thought the fish werent hungry enough to commit to the bait.. :eek:oooh:

thanks for the input guys.. i havent had the money for new lline yet this year, was planning on doing it next week.. looks like ill be buying the berkly big game.. :cool2:

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I switched back to mono also... I will use braid on my smaller spinning rods but a WBRB said its tough on stainless steel eyes on rods.. and It twist to much in stronger current.. I know that Winston ( Metalman ) uses it for his bottom bouncing rigs and I think thats the best with those cause your fishing straight down... But I like Berkley Iron Silk 30#, or Premeirs BigCat 40# or berkley big game 40#

13. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah i attemted the whole braided line in a baitcaster yeah it didnt work always got snagged and when it would get snagged and it would tangle on the spool so it really urged me to go back to mono

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I prefer mono too- until I need to cast. Then it sux.
    We need some better science on line imo

15. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sorry,power about to go out

16. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use berkley big game in 25 and 40. I have used them for years now and have had no problems with this line. I have never tried braid. The braid is way over priced in my opinion and doesnt seem to be any better than mono listening to you guys. Why change something that is working? besdies, I dont have a money tree at my house to pay for my fishing addictions. If you guys know where to get a money tree or a gold laying duck let me know.:smile2:

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL it should read:
    I prefer mono too- until I need to cast LONG ACCURATE DISTANCES. Then it sux.
    We need some better science on line imo

18. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I use the Berkley Big Game also, I've never used the braided,but I can't seem to justify the cost of the braided line, but then again, it's one mans opinion.

19. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was at Gander Mountain today and had a spool of braided in my hand. After this thread I thought, why not give it a try (even though I'm prefectly content with mono) just to see. But, I really couldn't seepay $35 for a spool that wouldn't fill my reel...so I got BG again! Maybe I'll try braid another day. Maybe when I find catfishcatcher's duck.

20. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nice