Mono or Braid? Which is the best fishing line?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Shad Man, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I started this thread on the Indiana board and got some good results so I figured I would see what my home state has to say. I have switched back to mono (Berkley Big Game) in the last few years after having great success with braid. Why you may ask? Well I am still in school and I can't afford to spool my five or six catfish reels with braid every spring at almost 30 bucks a pop (PowerPro/300yds). So I figured I would start a thread and see what you guys or gals think is the best or what is the best in certain situations. Who knows someone may know of a place to pick up line for a good price and could let some of us know.

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i use the big game also

3. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I like the Sufix Siege Line. I use Big Game as well but the Siege casts a little better,has less memory and seems just as tough to me. It's a little more expensive than the Big game and i haven't been able to find it in larger spools but it's still alot cheaper than Braid.

4. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    i use the berkley big game but braid is prolly the best

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know a lot of guys dislike it (some hate it) but I have never had a problem with Spiderwire Braided line and it runs about 11-12 bucks a spool at wally world last time i checked. It is way more expensive at places like gander mtn. I also think wally world carries power pro.

6. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, with me I use both, For mono I like any of the Suffix lines, although I'm a little salty about the elite line, I had a pole rigged up with it, a nice stout pole, and I got a snag and when I tried to pull out the snag my rod snapped in three pieces with no sounds of stressing, and the line was still in great shape, I ended up using some of it as leader material the rest of the year, and that was only 17lb, but the siege and the elite are good, and I like the high visibility tangerine color of the line too, lets me tie knots in the dark. Also I'm starting to like the Vicious lines, but I've used it on a limited run so far this year, so I'll be checking it out more later. As for the braid line I use 17lb diameter 65lb test power pro, it's strong, smooth, good knot strength, I love the stuff honestly, the only thing I don't like about it is getting snagged up with it, cause you've pretty much left yourself with one option, cut it as far out as you can. Two reasons why I've hated that fact more than anything is the price, cause two or three good snags from a bank which is were I'm usually fishing, and you've got half the line you started with, just isn't cost effective if your not careful, and the second reason is I HATE more than anything leaving line in or around the water, I've seen way to many one legged ducks and geese hobbling around, or worse yet is the ones you see that are going to be the next amputees, waddling around with a nice big birds nest of it cinched around their leg, it's just a poor site to see, that's why I've been thinking about switching back to using mono completely, better on the pocket, and better for my over active brain since I feel like I have a better chance of breaking my line closer to the hook with mono, and another thing I've noticed more so from an angling standpoint is that you loose a little shock absorption with braid, it just seems to put more of the fight on your rod and your terminal tackle than mono, but you gain something with braid as well, it seems like every inch your hook moves your line moves that same inch, I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys, but it just seems like braid has an almost instant response were as mono is just a little off maybe because of stretch.

That's what I think and that's how I do things.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like to use braid (80# power pro) for the fact that it doesn't have any memory and its super strong and i can load more on my reels, i use about 4 or 5 ft. of big cat mono as a leader so if i do get snagged the mono will break before the braid and save some money, the mono leader also holds up better against rocks

8. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going to have to figure out a nice balance with mine, cause I tried using a nice sized mono leader, but it didn't work out well for me, for some reason half the time it would get caught by the swivel, but that was just one spot I fish, maybe I just need to use mono there and still use the mono leader in all the other places, anyone have any suggestions on that? maybe switch how heavy a swivel, anyone have any suggestions cause I really would like to keep my power pro.

Not trying to steal a thread, I just got reminded of my problem last season..... man it seems like so long ago.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really like mono. Braid frustrates me so I stopped using it

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    20# Big Game its cheap and I love it, I do have some 40# on my Abu 9000 but have not had anything to really try it on. Come to think of it I havent come close to using my 20# exept snags :smile2:

11. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Why replace your braid every spring?

I had some spiderwire that I had fished with for 2 years, then got married, hung up my rods for 12 years. Last year took the rod down, and landed several 10lb plus fish with it including a 15lb Carp.

Unlike Mono which breaks down from UV light Braid should last you for years. To each his own, but personally, I'll never go back to mono on my spinning reels.

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    It seems like we have a little more diversity on this thread than I got in Indiana. Anyway, in a perfect world where I had gobs of money and a sweet SeaArk 20 foot boat with 100 horse jet drive on the back I would use braid. I would spool my Abu's with 60 lb power pro and then have a leader of 40 to 50 lb mono (for flatheads). This would allow me to break off any snags and not loose 300 yards of line an outing. I like the no stretch of braid but I have found that flatheads seem to fill the clicker easier and drop my bait more. But again in the perfect world I would fish everyday so If I lost a few it wouldn't matter becuase I would be back the next day!!!:cool2:

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use both. I like Big Game mono for nighttime visibility. I like my 100lb power pro because.... well cause it won't break. My braid is overkill, I caught a 72lb bluecat on 40 big game. Braid is not more expensive than mono IMHO. Braid can and does last me 3+ years at a time. What I don't like is the fact it doesn't break when I have a snag and I lose 50-60 feet of it sometimes.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would not use the best braid line if given a lifetime supply for free.

Main reason, no stretch, I want my line to stretch, plus I think braid has very poor abrasion resistance/

15. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I agree. When I fish with braid below dams or in spillways it get torn up fast. And then thats when the big one hits. SNAP!!!!:0a6::0a6:

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I fish some pretty stumpy and rocky area and have not had an abrasion problem. I have noticed when I have a sinker sliding the knot will appear scuffed, but using 100lb test, I have never had it break without a LOT of steady HARD pressure. It will still cut the heck out of your hands.
    That said, I am not arguing, just giving my own perspective. I do appreciate your opinions, that's what makes America great!

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use power-pro in 80 lb and have never had a break off because I use big game leaders in 50 and 80 lb test for the abrasion resistance along with sinker slides made for braid line to prevent torn up knots. I have 6 7000c3's and 3 9000BG's spooled with 80 and 100 lb power-pro braid that some is over 5 years old where I only have to cut a few feet off whenever it gets frayed and it's still just as strong as when I spooled it. I used to use mono big game an found that it is actually cheaper to use the braid where I don't have to respool every year due to line stretch or memory making the line hard to cast and mono don't do well in really cold weather either but this just my opion based on many years of experience using both types of line which both have improved a lot since back in the 40's.