Mono or Braid for circle hooks

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Im not sure what section to place this one in, so if it is in the wrong section sorry.

to my question. Which line is more effective in the use of circle hooks and why? what are the advantages/disadvantages of using braid/mono with a circle hook?

2. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm not an expert on circle hooks, but I would think that the extra stretch of mono would work to your advantage with circle hooks.

3. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    well i cant say either one.... i use mono..but i also use braid as a leader...but i do know that with circle hooks the braid will sometimes slip out of the eye v.i.a the little gap that between the eye and shank look close to see the gap... i just take a pair of pliars and completly close the small gap

4. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Thats a wild setup catmanoneufala mono with braid leader:confused2: Most guys I've discussed braid with go total opposite braid with mono leaders because the abrasion resistance of mono is greater than braid. Whats your theory behind the mono with braid leaders ???

5. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I use 50lb. mono as my leader.

Attached Files:

6. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I use braid with circle hooks. Braid does not give so when you get a bit useing circle hooks its a solid hit the hook is buried into the fishes mouth.
    Plus braid is very tough its like fishing with a chain.

7. catman_mark

catman_mark New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree that braided line is better with circle hooks. Just remember the line has no give and is tough to get un =hung. I used to use all braided line but i get more hits on mono so ive changed to big game mono, wich does pretty good with circle's too.the circle hook is a self set hook so the less strech u have the better.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always use octopus circle hooks and I also use #40 cajun red mono for my leaders. Power Pro #65 is my main line. I just feel the abraision resistance is much higher in mono. I only fish the river, and when the current is strong, there is usually plenty of rocks and moving debris for the fish to head for when hooked. The braid with its lack of stretch will usually move the fish out of trouble, but the mono leader I feel can take more abuse before it is sawed off. Good luck.

9. catfishslayer330

catfishslayer330 New Member

State:
    Centertown, Mis
    i use 30lb big cat green mono and a 7ot circle hook. I fish at night and the mono is alot more visable than braid and i use three poles it not more when i fish and with the circle hook the fish pretty much hook themselfs so i dont have sprint to the pole lol

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the BOC Max.....

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I think that mono would give you the more flexability to alow the fish to 'set the hook' in their own. But the rigidy of your pole may also play a factor. A medium heavy compaired to a heavy pole might need to be concidered to a question like yours. I use mono for my leaders anyway but braided for my main line. :cool2:

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was actually thinking about that a minute ago, it most definitely would, i think rod length can play a large role in this as well.

13. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    I use Mono and Braid and really can't tell any diference. But I only use Fluorocarbon leaders for they are very tough and do not stretch.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I mainly use mono as a main line with braid as a leader or steel leaders . I use this set up way cause I catch alot of channels and dont want to have to keep changing leaders due to the teeth of the cats wearing the line . Plus I can reel them to the boat and just reach down and grab the leader and pull the fish into the boat without busting my leader .

As far as circles on braid . I would tink the solid hook up without the stretch line in a mono line would work best . Both ways have put tons of fish in boats .

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 65# power pro and 40# big game for leader material. Seldom need this much but i have it if the chance arises. Daddy always said a good dirt dobber carries plenty of mud.:eek:oooh:

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Braid works best for circles. The no stretch is a big advantage especially if you have a lot of line out.

Mono is fine too, but braid hooks more solid and faster.

-Jim-