Mono Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 9, 2008.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've been reading alot of different post on braided lines, and some of the pros and cons. Does anybody still use just mono, and if so why, and what brand. I still use mono, stren, bass pro excel, ande, and berkley big game.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use big game 20# on all my reels . I have for years , it works good for me.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice post catmatt..and nice pic.s... you are right. i mainly run 40lb. big game on my reels. i have powerpro 65lb. on 3 of them for castability reasons for when i lake fish. but, when im fishing rocks and timber nothing stands up like mono does. people think stretch is a bad thing, i disagree.. i want alittle stretch when fighting a big flat, i like a little margin for error. if not fishing mono or something that has low to no stretch, you better make sure you have your nuts and bolts together, it only takes a matter of seconds for that fish to bust you off!! rollo

4. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i've had good luck with big game, cajun red, ande and suffix premium.

20 lb max. with 50lb. big game leader, works for me.:big_smile:

vaughn

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    From what I have seen braid doesn't cost any more than top of the line mono. Of course you can always use the eagle claw line for a couple of dollars, I have used it and has worked good. Mono line for me is berkley big game.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use cajun red on all my reels,its good stuff.Very tough.i use the 20# test and have never had a cat break me off.And if you get hung up,you might as well cut it because it will not break.You will straighten out your hook before you get your line to break.

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    2008 will be my year to return to using mono. I'm giving Power Pro a break. :wink: Because it breaks of too much on me. :crazy:

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have always used mono except once a few years back. It was the original spiderwire which wasn't that great. Many people will agree on that. I tried 30lb TufLine Xp it was breaking at around 18lbs or so. Philly I spoke to some one who was very knowledgeable on this apparently its all in the type of knots that you use. I am going to try 50lb Braid (eventually) and see how that works out. Check this link out for the knots looks a little hard. ( the same person who did video was the one that I spoke with)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGL2aD9q-cE

PS Nice Fish CatMatt --

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20 lb mono also.

10. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i only use andes 40 pound envy green, i might be lucky but ive never had a fish break off yet.

11. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I would say 2/3 of the people on here use mono. I won't use anything else. But that dosen't make it right. It's more of a preference than anything else.

J

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well i use both for different situations. i tried to be cheap about it and bought the cheap lines like the walmart shakespear for a 1.50 a spool well that was a mistake if your going after bigger fish blues and flatheads stick with name brand lines there are alot of good ones anymore out there. ande, berkley mega braid , power pro, tuf line ect. i run 30 to 50 lb test.

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use mono big game 30# on my reels. I think havin line that will stretch a little give me more confidence catching big fish.

14. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use 17# cajun red and 25# big game solar green for all of my catfishing. Now for bass I use fluoro almost exclusively.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use MONO line on all my reels. I have tried the other lines. Think I'll stick with my mono. I use big game 30# and excel 30# and excel 20#and tourney tough 12# for skipjacking. No complaints here:cool2:

16. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Mike,
    I agree with the above majority here about mono line. I like the fact that it will stretch some and the fact that it wont bury itself nearly as bad as braided line when under high pressure. I mainly use Eagle Claw, Berkley Big Game and Ominflex 30 to 50 pound. Ive tried the braided spider wire and didnt care at all for it. As I said, the braided line seems to bury in itself on the spool and the next cast goes about 30 feet and locks up the spool. rspd507

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I only use mono! Berkely Big Game is the current preference. In my opinion all the line makers keep comin' out with all these different lines that cost a fortune but ain't worth the money! :roll_eyes: I will spend my cash on mono and be happy! :big_smile:

18. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i use circle hooks,and mono works better than braid for me.the stretch in the line,combined with an e-glass rod allows the circle hook to work properly.i have never had a fish break off on big game(hope i didnt just jinx myself).setting the drag properly is the key.if i fished heavy snags i would consider using high test braid and j hooks though.