mono leaders for circle hooks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 20, 2009.

do you use mono leader on your braid for blues for a shock absorber to get better ho

1. yes

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    do you use a mono leader for a shock absorber for blues on braided line

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Always use a mono or flourocarbon leader, you will be sorry if you use braid. Been there, done that.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always use a mono leader. Cajun red or big game for me. Andrew

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro with a #40 Cajun red mono leader.

5. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I alwas use a shock leader with power pro Joined together with an allbright knot That is the way all my buddies that are Tarpon Guides do out of Fort meyers They say never tie directly to power pro these guys make there living catching big fish

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    maby thats why we always miss the hits, they take off the rods slams and nothing, but a run, no hookup, for flatheads this never happens

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    100 # Power Pro/80 # Cajun Red Leader/for me !!! :eek:oooh:

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats overkill bro lol, :smile2:

9. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    have never used braided but I am going to try it soon

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well...I dont use braid, but I do use mono leaders.:smile2:

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You have to use mono because the braid will not hold up around structure, no way around it. I dont use it for a shock absorber or hook sets, only for abrasion.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  12. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i always use 50 to 100lb mono leaders, whether my main line is braid or mono. berkley big game!!!!:big_smile:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i better change my tune, lol get me some 50 leaders, if i can tie that stuff lol, ill be changing my tunee next time i roll down fo blues

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Slik,
    I answered no in the poll because you asked about using the mono as a shock absorber.
    I do use a mono leader because of its better resistance to abrasion than braid.
    I could be wrong but I don't believe a 12" to 24' length of mono would stretch enough to make much of a difference as a shock absorber. J.M.H.O...W

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I had a hard time tying 50# mono good and tight so I went with 40# instead. It holds up fine if your in a heavy structure area like I fish. I use 65# braid and 30# mono and the 40# leaders IMO are a perfect match for both.

IMO another benefit of pretied rigs from home is that you take your time and pay more attention to the knots quality. I tend to slack more if I tie onboard in the dark.

-Jim-

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL I RUN 65 BRAID, SO ILL RUN A 50 BIGGAME LEADER JST NEED TO LEARN TO TIE IT GOOD, I USE A CLINCH KNOT, I DONT THINK A CLINCH WILL WORK ON 50 MONO,I THOGH ABOUT USING 40, BUT, GOING UNDER 50 SCARES ME LOL, USED TO TUFF LINE BUT 40 MIGHT HOLD UP TO A 60 PONDER,BUT IM NOT ONE TO PLAY EM OUT IM A GET EM IN FAST GUY GET AWAY FROM SNAGS SO I LIKE HEVIER LINES

17. stump1601

stump1601 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Slikk I use anywhere from forty to eighty pound mono or floro for leaders and if you use a fishermans knot is all I know it by you can tie just about any size mono. I also use a uni knot or a Palomar and they work very well but on all knots be sure and wet the knot and line before pulling it tight.

On the fishermans knot maybe someone on here knows a different name so you can look it up on the computer. Good luck

18. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    65 or 80lb Power Pro and 60lb mono leader

19. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use Power Pro on my mainline and leader too. I use 1/0 circle hooks and heavy @ss mono is too thick and stiff to make a nice knot. When I fish around rocks I double the Power Pro up and then tie my knots. I stopped using mono except for b@ss and bluegill years ago. I only fish lakes so I really don't have to worry about abrasion.

20. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Use an albright knot and always wet your line before cinching it.An albright when tied right will not pull loose.