Mono leader help please

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i will be using 20 pound cajun red line tied to a barrel swizel then to a mono leader can some help me out on what mono leader to use and also the best knot to tie ive been catfishing a while but never used leaders help me out plz thanks

2. Catfish_John1979

Catfish_John1979 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    It depends alot on where your fishing.. if your fishing in a area with alot of rocks etc.. you might want to use a heavier lb test for your leader... 99% of the time i used the same mono for a leader as my main line.. but i have used 40lb test flourocarbon for a leader with 30lb big game ... usually though the same mono as the main line is good leader.. just make sure your tieing good knots... i like the polamor knot to tie main line and leader .. and snell my hooks...

John

3. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i want to use 50 pound cajun line as my leader i just dont know what knot to tie the leader to the swivel and the leader to the hook

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use polymer knots on all three. Tie the leader to the swivel first, and then the swivel to the main line. You then tie your hook on last. It takes some getting used to to remember the order in the dark on your boat. But since i've started using the polymer I don't really like to use anything else. It's a real real good knot.

5. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Different Strokes for Different Folks, I use a 50lb Power Pro main line with a 15 lb offshoot to the sinker and 30-35 lb Big Game mono to the hook. I prefer to loose the sinker in rocks (whatever), then the hook without damanging the main line. To each, his own preference.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Chuck got it right that time....Different strokes for different folks....There's as many rigs/knots/lines as there are individual fisherman in this world....Read, read, and read somemore and develop your "own"....DemoMan

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    You can also tie the two lines directly with a half hitch at the leader with the mainline running throught it tied with a unit knot with 6 turns. This allows you to have a longer leader.

8. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    What I do is use a leader 10lbs or so bigger than my main line and I tie off with Palomar knots on everything.

If you are useing a three way swivil then it is smart to use a very light line to hold the weight and either the same or larger for your leader I believe but there are many ways to do it.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use 40# cajun red for my leader. My leader has a barrel swivel at one end and a snap swivel at the other end. I use the snap swivel because I will change hooks when necessary. I then use a sinker slide and a bead on my main line which is 50# power pro on my spinning reels or 25# breakaway mono on my 6500 & 7000 Garcias. I then attach the main line to the leader with a palomer knot. I use the palomer for all knots. Good luck.