mono in the cold

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by slikk03, Jan 9, 2010.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well if i run cajun 30 will it break in cold weather???, i dont want to take a trip and chance it, got it on a big penn gto, and it dont cast good as it is, so will the cold hamper my casting,thanks

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The cold will only hamper your casting if the line is freezing on the reel or your reel is overlubed or the wrong type of lube.

I like to fish at 32 degrees or above, mostly so the boat decks aren't icing over. Gets a bit more dangerous if you are walking on ice on a boat.

As far as line strength being compromised in the cold, I wouldn't think it would matter much but I really don't know.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest im not a fan of the cajun red. that line in itself can and will put a hurt on your casting. i use it for leaders sometimes, but it is to stiff to cast a long distance. JMO

as for the rest skipp seems to have said my thoughts first.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know lol, it dont cast very good lol, but i got to use it this week but distance aint a problem, i might not even bring that rod, just as a backup, i got about 600 in rods and reels, , the cajun is tuff its not a cating line but if pulled in some 30 pounders with no dag in on it, i can hit 25 yards with cajun on my penn gto, i think ill spool it with 40 biggame, it cast smoother, i just dident know how mono reacted to ice and cold temps, braid does ok until its 5 below then it freezez and snaps

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only problem I have with mono in the cold is the sore throat. Chloraseptic usually helps out with that problem. :bulgy-eyes:

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I read a post on here some wheir they did a test on braid ,, mono and super monos or fluro carbon

any way they put all 3 lines in a freezer for 15 to 30 mins

then tested the strength of each

braid was most effected

mono was the best out of the 3

look at all the huge pike and walleye caught ice fishing with 4 lb test mono ,, so the strength of your line shouldnt be a issue

wish i could find that post again it was neat to see the results of the test .

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Went bass fishin a couple weeks ago when ice froze in the tip every cast. Throwin jerk baits on a spinning rig with 10# P-Line and it looked like a slushie machine when ya reeled it in. I've fished mono and flurocarbon since it came out and never had any problems. I do spray my spool with Blakemore reel magic before i start fishing and that may help keep the line from freezing on the spool, i dunno.

8. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    The only thing that might happen is the line freezes on the reel or in the guides, it should not compromize the strength of the line, it may make it tougher to tie knots cause your hands get cold. I don't know if sprying silicone on mono helps but I do know it keeps braided line from freezing, all my reels have braided line on em & I spray them with silicone (two times each) & have had no problems with the line freezing on the reel since.