Mono breaking in my baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by centralcalcat, Sep 3, 2005.

1. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have used baitcasters for years and my last catfishing trip i had an unexpected problem that I have not expierienced before.

I was casting as usual and had a backlash, not entirly uncommon it happens to all of us. Then as I was untangling it something caught my eye, a loose end of line within my spool. I pulled out the line and about 60-70 yards deep in my spool there was a clean break.

A little background this paticular Rod I typically use in a small canal so there is rarely more then 20-30 yards of line out where the break was it look like a clean knife/sissor cut and the line had no signs of being frayed.

I was using 15lb test stren mono.. ANy Ideas?

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Mono Knomes??? Just kidding. I was putting line on my Girlfriend's reel this spring when I felt something scrape my finger as I put the line on. I stopped and pulled line from the reel and found a spot on the mono that was basicly cut half way through. This was a brand new, got it off of the shelf the night before spool of Berkley 20lb Mono. Now I know why my father always told me to put the line between my fingers when I put it on. I'd have hated to seen the look on her face if that line wuld have broke on a fish. I'm not sure if this was the problem that caused your line to break or not, just thought I'd share my experiance.

Ray

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Mono Gnomes I knew it! :cursing:
    LOl

Thanks fo rthe info, but in this case I had run the line between my fingers when it went on so I know it happened on the spool. i could understand if it was a weak spot, but I would expect to see a fray of some sort that is what has me confused :confused:
    -Brian

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have seen line brand new straight out of the box that when you put it on the reel it leaves a white dusty looking stuff between your fingers. I sampled the line to see how hard it was to break...and it broke right in two. I took it back and got a new box of line...same stuff...and it was fine.

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    hmmm....so I am thinking it might have just been defective line then? :confused:

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    check to make sure the line cant get between the spool and side plate, it will cut it quick

7. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    tspergin,
    I already checked out the reel for anything (included sideplates) for anything that could have cut it and it appears to be good as far as that is concerned. The reel is a South Bend Oreno Classic.

-Brian

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    check to make sure there isnt a burr on the spool somewhere,or any thing sharp around where it picks up the line.It could be cutting into your line.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Do you have fishing friends who like to mess with you?

Seriously now, how old was the line? Could it be sun damage?

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Well my fishing partner is daystartchis here on the BOC, i trust him as far as cutting my line..I think... :confused:

The lines age, I replaced the line on the reel in may (towards the end) Since then I have fished it about 10 times. i only use this pole for small water fishing, because it doesn't cast as far as my longer spinning rods I use for open water.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Central, how old is the line on your bait caster. I had the same problem. re spooled my reel fixed the problem. :confused:

12. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    HEY Central

Alot of times on a backlash the line will work it's way against the spool and sideplate and get into the groove just enough to pinch it.

13. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I had a similar problem with a couple of my baitcasters. The line on both reels was fairly new and I hadn't pulled in nothing big on either line yet (as usual, lol) and I noticed one day that my lines kept snapping on the cast. I got to looking and they were very brittle. I finally determined that my problem was the heat. I had been getting lazy and leaving my poles in my Explorer and a combination of the direct sunlight and this Arizona heat really did a job on them. I pulled out about 30 yards or so and cut it off as I figured that should get rid of most of the line that was exposed to the sunlight and would get me by until I could replace my line.

That may or may not be your problem and of course you may not have to deal with the heat that we have here in AZ but I thought I would run that by ya anyway. I now make sure and take my poles in after every fishing trip, even if I am going back out the next day. This sun is bad down here. I had a good tackle box melt on my back porch last summer. Had to use a hammer to break into it and salvage anything, lol.