Mono backing for power pro line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by BajaCoop, May 11, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    For those of you that use or have used power pro:

What size mono line do you use for backing?
    i have some 40 lb power pro and when i get my penn 209's next week i will be filling them up.

Also how much do you generally put on?

Thanks in advance.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I doubt you would need more than 150 yds of the Power pro,so you might have to experiment a little to see how much mono you will need.:smile2:

3. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have 2 150 yard spools (1 for each reel).

i have some 40 lb mono should i just go ahead and put about 50-75 yards of that on and then the power pro?

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Ed, You will want to put enough mono on so that when you put your PP on the reel is filled up. I agree with Jim, 150 yds. is all I put on.Just put some cheap mono on because all it is, is a filler.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ed,
    It sounds like you have more than one reel. A trick I have used is to put the braid on first and then fill up the spool with mono ON TOP of the braid. Then, wind th whole lot from that reel onto the other reel noting how many turns it takes to get the mono onto the second reel. If it all looks good when everything is on the second reel the number of turns you counted is how much mono to put on the second reel. Load the braid on top and you will have both reels loaded, full and the same...W

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Metalman has hit the nail on the head if you are using Backing for any multi-line set up. It is the most effective and least time consumming. Way to Go!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i used to fill my reel with powerpro and top it off with mono.then walk the line out and swap ends rewind to put the braid on top.after reading metalmans post ive found an easier way and saved lots of steps.thank you metalman i would never thought of that.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Metalman,
    That's a neat trick you have there to figure out how much mono you need to feel your reel. The next time I re spool a reel I'm going to put that trick to work for myself.
    Thank You,
    Glenn

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    when you put your backing on use the same diameter lines,makes joining them together easier and the knot will hold better

10. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was thinking of doing the backing thing, but being I have no experience with Braided line, I didn't know how to attach it together. SO...I'll ask the guys who have appeared to do this....

What type of knot would you use to attach MONO to BRAID????????

Help

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont know about smaller dia.lines but with the 65 lb.powerpro that i use i just tie a knot in the mono. then tie a knot in the braied to keep braied from pulling thru.then i just tie a slip knot cinch it down on the mono and im ready.i dont go to any troble because if a fish takes 150 yards of 65 lb.test line its goning to cut the mono when it gets to anyway.

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    If a catfish in the US takes 150 yds of 65# PowerPro from your reel there is something seriously wrong with your drag.:roll_eyes:

Cheez

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Sorry but couldn't resist on the previous post but I tie double Uni knots when attaching braid to mono

Cheez

14. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I used an albright(sp?) and it held when I wrapped each line around a plastic handle and pulled.

15. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Todd The power pro box has a paper with proper knots to use. They have one for joining power pro to mono. It worked good for me. Hope this helps. I have also used a uni knot and that seems to work well also.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a uni knot works pretty well and a blood knot is good too.

17. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC

Blood knot with a drop of super glue on it.

Jon

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Why do you put the mono on your reel first? Is this necessary to use power pro correctly? I have never used this line but my buddy poisonpits says he does it and I am just curious!

19. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Without a mono backing, powerpro will slip on the spool when tension is applied to the line. The mono backing will generally prevent this from happening.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I bought 300 yards of 80 pound power pro it cost me $36.00. I was thing that the mono was spolled as backing in order not to use the Power pro up:tounge_out: