Monitors

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many of you use Police, Fire,Rescue and Weather monitors? Have they been useful to you? What brands/types do you recommend?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a handheld one made by radioshack, it doesnt have a ptt button just made to listen. I got it cuz my uncles in the fire dept.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a pretty good one from radio shack that was given to me as a Christmas present a few years back. It’s programmable with several memory options. Use to listen to it all the time, now I don’t use as often but I still turn it on now and then.
    It’s handy to know what’s going on in my county. Has been very useful for weather too and comical at times.
    Some of the police and sheriff calls, amazing what some folks will call law for. Little stuff that amounts to nothing, wasting their time having them run from one end of the county to the other.
    I’ve enjoyed mine

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mickey, I had a Uniden Bearcat scanner many years ago.

Mentioning scanner makes me think of this. I worked in a petrochemical/refinery complex that had several different plants. Wife was home and heard a major explosion that rattle the windows. Turned the scanner on to the frequency of our companies page system. She heard on the scanner that the companies fire dept was responding to the plant I worked. I wasn't hurt but couldn't contact her for couple hours due being busy and the company phone lines being busy. I had a Pageboy but the system was only one way communication. That was before cell phones.

Lighting later got our scanner and never replaced it but it was fun at first.

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have a old uniden bearcat turbo handheld , I have had it since the late 90's.I still haven't figured out what all the functions are.:smile2: I do like it that it is a rechargeable , it does come in handy during power outages.I also have an older radioshack table unit but rarely ever turn it on.I also have four of the motorola handheld ptt two ways that I use for deer season , they have a good weather function band.