Monday, Jan 21st Fishing Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Jan 24, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Kinda late on the report, but I took my boat to the mighty James Monday for a last minute trip. I hadn't fished in nearly a month, so it was time to go. I only fished around 5 hours, but it was a great day to fish. Bait was really easy in Deep Bottom, 10 minute set of the gill net and I had enough bait for the day.

Decided to hit some holes around the 295 bridge. I wanted to set up on a wing dam on the south bank but before I could I noticed there were alot of blue herons and a ton of seagulls working the north bank, which incidentaly was the bank that the sun was shining on. So I went over there and set up. 2 minutes after getting my bait in the water, my rod goes down nice, and what do you know, my first ever flathead! 7.5 lbs! lol I've been wanting to catch one for a while, but didn't think it would be on the tidal James in mid-winter. I can now check that off my list.

Started pulling alot of dinks so I moved upriver some on the same bank and found a nice hump/boulder sitting on the bottom of 20 ft of water with a big arch sitting behind it, and a ton of fish on the channel edge adjacent to it in 30 ft of water. The rod I threw to the boulder brought in a 32.5 lb - 40" blue. It was a great fight and it was nice to feel some solid tuggage again! As soon as I netted him, another pole slammed down. This fish went 18. Now the 32 was still in the net so I had to hand grab the 18 in the mouth. I've done this before without any problems, but this fish was still kicking hard and tore the hell out of my hand and made me bleed a bit.

I noticed the 32 had a bass lure hanging halfway out of his "business end". The lure apparently managed to make it's way through the fish's digestive tract but got hung up on the home stretch. I managed to get the lure out. I laugh because somewhere there is a bass fisherman telling a grand story to his friends and family about the likely world record bass that broke off his line on the James!:smile2:

I moved to one other spot and boated a 20 and 10, then called it quits for the day. 11 fish total and biggest at 32. It was just myself out there for the longest time, and only saw 3 other boats all day. That 32 tasted really good, it had a nice flakely meat. Just kidding ya'll, CPR! Definitely got the bug again, so I'm gonna try to get back out there Sunday and maybe Monday.

Attached Files:

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Nice cats you got there, looks like you had fun with those bigguns.
    Thanks for sharing the pics brother.

:wink::big_smile:

3. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Josh,,,,Good job,,nice pictures and fish:big_smile:

mikeb

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nice fish but wheres the flathead.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Right here........

Attached Files:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I need to get out the book on my camera and figure out how to take a picture on a timer. Lets just say I am technically challanged.:smile2:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on a fun day of fishing, thanks for the report and pics. One of these days i'd like to fish the James.

8. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great report! Nice pics too. In the last few weeks I've caught 2 flatties around 15# each in that same stretch.. one on the south bank and one on the north.

9. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey Kenneth...great pics just as they are....man don't mess them up by getting in on the fun....lol.....hey man just messing with ya.....

Jerry

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Great report Josh....and congrats....think you should have ate the flattie....lol....later....Jerry

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    BTW Alan (blacksheep) is on his way... should be at my house by 3.....and in Hopewell by 6 PM. He wants to wait till morning to get bait...heck I think we should fish all night...lol

Jerry

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Some nice fish you caught, way to go.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Hey Jerry, great minds think alike. Now you just gotta figure out to convince him. Best of luck to you guys, and save some fish for me.

14. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Great job josh them are some good pic to for being by your self.Three more weeks and I will be seeing you guys down there,can't wait.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Oustanding fishing report, Joshua! I would have liked to see a picture of that lure before extraction! :eek:oooh:

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice bunch of fish congrats !!!

17. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    sounds like 5 hrs well spent!

nice fish....

vaughn

18. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice fish! I have caught several flatheads right through there, almost makes me want to fish specifically for them sometimes. Biggest one I've pulled out of there was 24 lbs, winter time too. I haven't been in a few weeks, gotta scratch that itch soon!

19. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good job josh, I think it was pretty cold on monday night

20. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice cats josh looks like you had a pretty good day.