Monday Evening fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well I fished Friday, Sat, Sunday, I wasn't going today but and I got the itch about 4:00 PM and was on the river by 5:30. Launched at Anncarrow. Begged some shad off two guys in a smokercraft V Hull,(Love those boats). Set up down from the I 95 bridge aways. 30 minutes and only two fish. Moved about 50 yards and re set. It was on. Between 6:00 and 10:00 I caught a good 300 pounds of 1-20 pound cats. One three pound Flathead that will be my breakfast and a bonus fish that found its way in my boat. I lost one as I was lipping it that was a good foot longer. It kills me to release the striped ones but after a quick picture, she swam off strong.

2. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kenneth ....man you are fishing way to much.....it's just plain wrong......lol

Sounds like you are having a heck of a time....Always thought the smokercraft V Hull with the walk thru windshield would be a great boat to have.....

Good luck on the up coming trips......Jerry

3. vtfish

vtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Seems to me that the stripers have started to show up. I caught one on thursday and one on friday. The one on thursday was a huge 41 lbs 47 in long. She was filled with roe, and swam of great....:big_smile:

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    For the shad, do you anchor up or drift/troll? If anchor, do you just ride around until you see some bait balls?

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    you can catch them in all the ways you mentioned. I ususally prefer to anchor and cast. Watch other people. Vary retrieve speeds until you find out where in the water colume they are biting. Mainly deep but sometimes not so deep. I usually put a 1/4 oz bullet weight in front of the shad dart spoon combo rig. Count to 4 or 5 before you start to reel. When using the fly rod, full sinking line, count to 8 before I start stripping the line back.
    Have fun.

6. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Looking forward to using some of this info this weedend.

Thanks for all the tips.