Monday 1/18/2010

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishdealer04, Jan 21, 2010.

1. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Meant to post this on Monday, but my computer was acting up....Anyway I headed down to the Big "O" with my dad to do some fishing.

Well the weather was supposed to be nice and get up to around 45 degrees (It never got above 30 degrees on the river today). We were going to do some sauger fishing, hybrids, and cats.
    Went to my first spot today where I have caught some very nice sauger and we fished it for about 30 minutes and we were un-able to get a bite.

Moved to my second spot. This is a spot where I have caught some catfish and sauger before. We threw a couple cat rods out and then continued to work jigs. My dad hooked into an 8 pound drum that hammered his jig on the first cast...not what we were after but at least we got the skunk taken care of. Two more casts later he caught a quillback. A little after that the cat rods started to get some bumps....then one of the rods gets buried..but when I go to pick it up it comes back up. Couple minutes later I get a good hit and land the first channel of the day at 5 pounds. Continued to get bumps here and ultimitley landed 6 channels out of this spot all from around 3 pounds to 7 pounds.

Moved to my third spot and the action was immediate we landed 5 more channels in this spot with the biggest of the day at 8 pounds.

We should have called it quits then haha but I wanted to try out some hybrid spots. Tried another 5 spots and did not get a bite. No hybrids no sauger, and no blues today. Could not find any shad...I did not throw my net, but I was not marking anything nor did I see any flipping.

Barge traffic was very heavy today, saw a trapper out and some duck hunters and that was it. There was nothing in the water really above Cincinnati, but below the city there were trees/sticks floating down and chunks of ice, I would imagine they were coming from the Licking and the Mill. The Mill had a lot of crap in it, I did not go into the Licking.

At least it was nice to get the boat out, its been over a month since I have had it out.

I attached pictures of the first 3 cats and my dad with the drum (drum are not allowed in the boat...hence why it is in the net outside of the boat haha) Did not take pictures of the rest of the cats as my hands were freezing and none of them were really picture worthy...

Attached Files:

2. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Drum picture.....

Attached Files:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah bites been tough man, I am headed out alone it looks like on Saturday. I am sure I will hammer the fish since I will be alone...LMAO

4. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    im heading out as well on saturday with nateD. river looks like it will be rippin pretty good , i just hope they're wrong about the wind

5. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i tried to send you a PM. i just found out that i have to work all weekend. i cant pass up the overtime as slow as things have been. we will have to get together another time. good luck! let me know how it goes.