Moncks Corner tailrace canal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I saw on another thread where the shad were going good in the tailrace canal. Can someone give me any info as to where to go there to catch them? Boat or bank fishin'? Sabiki rigs or what? Just need basic info as a few folks from here want to go catch some of them.

Bill in SC

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill you lookin for a hand out?:smile2: Ask Tommy "Blackwaterkatz" he is the foremost authority on the Santee system! Go Tommy!!:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    yes, Jon, I was anxiously awaiting Tommy's reply. I need to get his cell number for instant access to him. I agree that he is the foremost authority in that area! :wink:

Bill in SC

4. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Bill,
    americian shad is running good in the tailrace. you have to get there real early around 530 or 6. you need to get on the right side comming toward the dam. anchor at the line . you want to be at the sign or as close as you can so get there early. you cant fish until offical daylight. use pink head jigs with green twisty tail grub. cast out toward middle and work at differant depths hope this helps.
    GARY

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Y'all don't believe all that stuff I spew, do ya? I spend a lot of time on the water, get to see and talk with a few good fishermen, too, and I try to remember (that's getting harder with age) what I learn and put it to use. You can never know too much, can you?
    We've got a couple of folks doing creel surveys on the tailrace, and they kinda update me on things there; talked to one of them on the phone a few minutes ago, but forgot to ask him for the latest. He know how to catch them, too.
    Anyway, the best time to get there if you want a spot close to the sanctuary line is real early, as Stewman (oops, correction: Iceman :wink:) stated. That being said, the best overall time for catching them is when the power plant cuts off turbine flow, and the water level drops, but they can be caught almost any time of day. You can call 1-800-92LAKES and get an estimated time for generating flows. Everyone tries to get close to the line along the banks, especially on the right hand side. Again, you don't have to be in those spots. Almost anywhere above the railroad trestle, and near the bank can be pretty good. I almost never go all the way to the line, myself, if there are lots of boats, and I still catch fish.
    I think most any color will work, but chartreuse (I like metal flake) seems to be the favorite for some reason; 2" curly tail on a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jig head. I like pink or red heads, but try to have different colors to try. A lot of folks tie 2 jigs of leaders off of a 3-way swivel. I almost always use just one, without additional weight, but if the current is running, I rig it carolina style with a 1/8 or 1/4 oz worm weight ahead of the swivel. Early morning before the sun gets too high is a great time to catch shad; after that they run deeper so you need to get near the bottom.
    Shad have tender mouths, much like crappie, plus they do quite a bit of running, even leaping into the air like small tarpon sometimes, so you have to keep steady pressure on them, but don't put too much, or set the hook too hard. When you feel one on, just start reeling; it's already hooked.
    Now, you guys don't really believe me, do you?

BTW, I will be up there tomorrow and Friday, most likely, but working; won't be able to fish much. Cheers, everyone! :smile2:

6. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Hope this keep's up until next weekend. Would be nice to catch bait instead of buying it.

7. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    my buddys went out today and caught about 30 shad. fillet them and going to jar them up. thats the only way to do them. just like salmon. they said the bites pretty good but some people catch them better then others. its all in knowing how i guess.
    GARY

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I didn't see an awful lot of action today, but LOTS of boats out trying for them. The creel survey guy said most were only bringing out a few; something had them a little off, seemed like, not as many caught as in the past several days.