Mon River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by BassinWv, Jul 15, 2009.

1. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Anyone fish the Mon river?

2. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I never have fishing it. Sorry

3. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I do; one of the record catfish (of some species, at one point in time in the history of WV) was caught at Uffington next to the public boat launch.

Unfortunately now it's plastered with "KEEP OUT" signs, which I hate to disobey . . . .

4. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Yep I fish it and have for 47yrs! :)

5. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    just a few small flats and chaneles

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I fish the Mon. Usually between Star City boat ramp and Point Marion PA dam. I have put in up at Uffington, but it is so shallow until you get out to the middle of the river, it is hard to launch your boat in low water.

Don't know of any other boat ramps up river from the Morgantown dam.

Best places I have found for catfish is on the outside bank of the river bend below Star City, and on the down stream side of any barge moorings along the Grandville bank. I have heard, never fish, below the discharge of the Morgantown power plant.

Hope this helps, hope to see you on the river soon.

7. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Theres a public ramp at Uffington, Pricketts Fort and Fairmont! And scads of private ramps!

8. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes, I know there is a public ramp at Pricketts Fort and several in Fairmont, but between Uffington and Pricketts Fort there are two dams. I just want to fish above Uffington but not all the way to Fairmont.

Does anyone know of any boat ramps up river from Uffington but on the other side of the river, the east bank?

9. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    ive been fishing the mon. I work nights so I usually only get to fish during the day. Done ok using live sunfish and warmouth. Get to make my first dark trip tonight.