Mon River - no luck yesterday :|

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by CatFighter, Jul 18, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    So, it rained twice here yesterday, and I thought it would be a good night to go fishing.

Went to Opekiska, where I heard the flathead fishing is good. I had a dozen bluegill, from 3" to about 6" in size, fished the bottom, fished with slip bobbers, and got nothing after about 6 hours of fishing.

Anyone else fish last night and have any luck??

2. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    I was going to go out. I gess its a good thing i didnt. These cats have to come around here soon, its been almost a month since i have caught a flathead.

3. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Opekiska is an ok spot to fish but theres so many better easy accessable spots I rarely fish it unless after white bass.

You really need o fish the better areas and your luck will get ALOT better! :)

4. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV

Where are the better areas near Morgantown??

With 47 years, you know the best places to fish for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In fact, when you go fishing some time please let me know. I'll bring the refreshments! :wink:

BTW - my dad and I practice catch and release (especially on the Mon River).

Thanks a lot!!

5. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Well theres many spots that are good and some thats really good!

The best spots you must have a boat to fish but theres several good bank spots. I'll give you 3 to help you get started

Try between Catawba and Jordan several places to fish there. Some deep holes over 40ft deep. But you'll want to fish close to the bank as theres a shelf the flatheads prowl. The wide spot closest to the Rail to Trail Crossing that has a culvert pipe just across the guard rail usually is the better spot. You'll have to park your vehicle with about half in the road, use the guard rail for a rod holder!

Try Granville where the barge tie piers are closest to the Star City Bridge.

Try the big bend just down river from Little Falls right below the Bench on the Rail To Trail!

Flatheads over 30lbs. have been caught at all 3 locations!

Use live gills about 5"-6" long on a 5/0 or 6/0 or 7/0 Kahles hook! Get in the water as soon as the sun goes off the water and stay late!

Good Luck! :)

6. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Excellent!! I'm hitting one of these this weekend, for sure!

Thanks again!!

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is some great information, Robert. Thanks and reps to you! :cool2: