Mollusk question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman529, Oct 20, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have several clams in my 10 gal fish tank with 2 5in goldfish. Four have died and I am wondering if it is too crowded. I am collecting them for bait. I have to take out two dead ones today, they are stinking up my room. Whats worse is we are having a guest over tonight. I am airing it out right now. How do I stop the RCD [random clam death]?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It is probably a disease. I am not sure-i do not know much about clams and that type stuff though. Buddah has several aquariums and can probably give you some info. send him a pm. but with just the two 5 inch goldfish the tank is overstocked. they each need over 10 gallons, a piece. it will stunt them, make them prone to disease and overall is very bad for the fish

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    clams are filter feeders so make sure they have a fine food that they can filter (like fry food) also their sensitive to water conditions & gold fish are messy. watch your ammonia & nitrite levels.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi cat man.
    It could be the chlorine in your water supply that's killing your clams, if you are using city water. I have a small fish pond out in my back yard and last year when the canals started drying up, I caught four small channel cat about 1" long and brought them home and put em in my pond, and with in a week they were all dead. I thought that any condition that a gold fish could live in, a catfish would have no problem with, but I was wrong and I think it had to do with chlorine in the water. anyway it is something to think about. Now I am trying something else, I have about a 4" blue gill in the pond and I will just have to see what happens to him.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    They are correct in the overcrowding of the tank. This is probable making the amonia level too high for the clams. As a general rule of thumb for fish aquariums they require 1 gal of water for every 1" of fish. Goldfish need a lil more water as they tend to dirty up the water more frequently.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catman, out of 130 different kinds of mussels that you have in Tennessee 43 are on the federal endangered list, be carefull fishing with them. To keep them alive you must have moving water! this is the only way they can feed.The current in their natural environment brings food to them, not so in an aquarium.:0a26:

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanx netmanjack. I catch all of my clams feeding in the current but I have read about people keeping them alive in aquariums for more than a year. I guess the goldfish were the culprits and maybe I should get a seperate tank for clams and do more reasearch on keeping them.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I kept a large one, about half a pound alive for about a year once. I had a 55 gal tank but the filter was able to circulate 300 gallons an hour. This created lots of water movement. It would splay itself out all night feeding was cool to watch.

9. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    yeah, chlorine in city water could be the culprate. I had a 8 pound cat I put in a cooler with city water, wanting to keep him alive until morning so I could skin him. He was stiff as a board by morning. Now I dip the cooler in the river or creek I catch them out of, or ice em down.