Moles in the yard how to get rid of them.

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bricky, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How do you all get rid of moles in the yard

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some use mold traps. Others use Poison peanuts. I saw one guy use a cherry bomb.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    its easy take a propane bottle and put a little gas in each hole and smash the hole shut with dirt then on the last hole light the match poooof the moles will be gone !!!!!

it worked great for my nieghbor did a little damage to the yard tho lmao

boooooooooom and the dirt was flying lol true story finny as heck :smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. nannycat

nannycat New Member

State:
    mid AZ
    Well, I tried everything...pocket gophers....little and malicious....they eat anything with a root...my backyard looks like the NY subways system....I tried the smoke bombs, and I think they secretly enjoy the 'high', so I tried traps... viscious...sometimes it doesn't kill them, it maimes them and that's gross...finally I had no choice..I had to call the gopher killer man. He uses these little tablets, puts them down the chutes...it's really toxic to the gopher. The man charged a fair price for the amount of holes...and came back for a whole month for free to make sure he got them all. Or.....you can wait till the little critters move on and go to the neighbors !!...........good luck...I am having to replant everything...now that's where the expense lies!....oh, and I"m sure they multiply like rabbits, so get them gone as fast as you can....and by the way, gum, hair, and water flushing don't work either.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Moles eat grubs, gophers eat plants. If ya got moles get rid of the June bug grubs feeding on the roots of your grass. Once the grubs are gone the moles are gone to the next door neighbors breakfast table.

Best thing I have seen to physically kill 'em is a good dog. Leaves a little bigger hole in the yard but that mole is compost material.

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    It really depends on if they are truly Moles or Voles.
    Moles eat meat (insects such as grubs) while Voles are vegetarian (roots, bulbs, etc.) so the method of irradication is different for each.

For Moles, most times if you get rid of the grubs you won't have the moles. Japanese Beetles in the larvae stage (grubs) are one of their favorites.

For Voles I have no clue other than a good dog LOL

One of my 3 Labradors is a great Mole/Vole hunter and catcher. Only problem is when she picks up on one that has come into the yard, that area looks like a mine field in which mines went off. She gets her nose in a tunnel and pushes along like one of those train track plows that clears snow from the tracks. LOL

The only other problem with her catching them is that she at times brings them in the house and drops them. Nothing like coming out of the bedroom 1/2 awake and stepping on a dead mole!:eek:oooh:

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I believe there's a good instructional video called CADDYSHACK that will show you how to remove critters from your yard.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Moles are in your yard because you have those big white grubs.Ortho make stuff that you put on your lawn that says kills moles.Myself I like to pack down the yard so you have no tunnles, then load up the 22 and sit on the picnic table and wait for a new tunnel to be dug, you can see the ground move.when that happens,open fire.works every time.
    smokey

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the yard, I've tired poison, carbon monoxide, windmills and traps.
    Only sure thing... 12 gauge shotgun, loaded with #4 shot! I can pull down on em faster than I can with my 22. :wink:

We have about 75 acres of pasture full of them devils, when someone comes up with a sure kill.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Used to do that myself. Now if a fire cracker goes off and it isn't the 4th of July the swat team shows up!! LOL

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't have a dog and I have moles.My neighbor has a dog that is constantly diggin' holes in my yard. All this time I thought he was buryin' bones...:smile2:

12. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I just put some grub killer (Ortho, many brands available) on my yard 2 days ago. Had to wait for an upcoming rain before applying. It has to rain on it to go into the soil. You have to remove the food source first. I don't like using any kind of poison because sooner or later and dag or cat will sample it and get the poison too. As a kid I used to watch early in the mornings for them to be making new runs. I'd slowly sneak up on them and give them a good stomp and then go get the shovel and digem up and killem with the shovel (cheapest of all) Also was fun as a kid. The rest of my time was spent in the timber, creeks and lakes. Those were the days by golly.

13. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    The best result is to call the lawn man.An pay out the butt.

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A 12 pack of beer, a lawn chair and a machette....

15. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know a couple of ways that work really well, but they are highly dangerous and might be against the law. To be safe I will give you the least dangerous way.
    First you will need some rock carbide, the stuff they use in the old fashion miners lanterns. Cover any exit holes in the tunnel you can find with a little dirt. Do not bother the tunnels themselves, you need them intact. Take your finger and make a little hole in the tunnel. Drop a small piece of the rock carbide into the hole and recover with dirt. KEEP ALL KIDS AND PETS AWAY FROM THE AREA FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS!!! When rock carbide comes into contact with the moister from the ground it will create acetylene gas. The gas will travel through the tunnel killing the moles.:smile2:

16. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Hey littleman, I know someone that uses that stuff to fish with..LOL:eek:oooh:

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    SHHHHH, don't be telling everyone about my secret bait!LOL

18. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Is there a better way to get ahhh ......Oh yea, BAIT ?:wink:

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Knew a fellow who took a mason jar, rock and a hole in the lid who used that for fishing, dont know how he did.

You are taking the easy way out.....lol 12 pack of beer, lawn chair and machette, you can have relaxation and get your frusterations out all at the same time.....does wonders....

20. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    WOW, I didn't know people really did fish that way. I think it would kinda of take the fun out it.