Mole problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by zappaf19, Mar 19, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have moles!!!!!!! I have tried the worms, pills that come in the cone container I am not sure about traps.(hate to waste anymore money) I have even peed in the runs. I know moles have a main run and feeder runs. A feeder run is used only once. I find the main run by steping on the runs. If it comes back it is a main run.
    Thanks
    Bill:mad:

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have a friend that had moles and he used moth balls and he said it worked for him as long as he kept moth balls out.
    You might givem a try and see if it works for you.

AL

3. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    First ya got to catch the moths!! Sorry LOL LOL !

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hmmm.... dynamite always worked for me:)

i have heard of people using moth balls to get rid of them and there is also a plant i think it's called moe bean plant they grow to be huger but after a year they die and you have to cut them down and discard them but they do drop seeds.i can do a little more hunting for them after while and maybe find you more info but right now i got a few cat fish calling my name:)

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I think it is called Casta Bean plant, they do work I know a few people that have them. I think they come back every year not sure on that. And moth balls work also.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    They make hose end concentrate that attaches to your hose made of Castrol Oil and Soybean oil. Those little guys hate having any type of oil on their fur and will drive them out of your yard. The secret to make it really work good is to do this after a heavy rain or after a long soaking with a sprinker. The soil needs to be very moist in order to translocate though the soil and into their tunnels. It works prerry good but will need to reapply ever couple of months. Also a soil pentrating pesticide will help also in elimating grubs which is their main diet.

7. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    I've always been told that you can put pinwheels up in your yard to help. Moles don't like any movement through the ground like that so any yard decoration that creates a vibration will keep them away. It worked in my mom's yard when we kept the cats in the house. Chemical free and aesthetically pleasing. :p

8. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    put bubble gum in the hole the moles will eat it gums up their insides and they die

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Haven't tried it myself but have heard that you can put in those carbide pellets (like the ones you use in those carbide lights) into the runs and pour on the water. The gas will send them a digging their way out. Just don't light a match.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
  11. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Found this while doing a search for dry ice machines a while back.
    I have heard in the past about people using carbon dioxide straight from the bottle..they put a hose up into the tunnel and turned the valve on so that it would slowly fill the tunnel with the carbon dioxide to get rid of the moles.

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/other.htm#GOPHER ERADICATION

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I also have a huge mole problem. Between the moles and the dogs trying to dig them up, they have destroyed my yard. I used the pellets and then did some research. They said moles eat grubs, not pellets and you're wasting your time and money trying to get them to eat pellets. They say the only good way to get rid of them is to get rid of the grub worms they feed on. When they run out of food, they will move on.

I got a 40 lb. bag of insecticide at Walmart for about $12 and used a broadcast spreader behind my lawn tractor to distribute it. That was about a week ago so I don't know if it is working or not yet.

13. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    In the interest of tryin to help out others, I will repeat what my aunt found in the local newspaper.
    seems you make up a concoction of texas pete or loosieanna hot sauce, hot peppers ground up, black pepper and vinegar. the article said after puttin it all together you would pour it into the moles hole and he would leave .:)
    My comment was that would make me leave!!!!:cool:

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dang, that sounds like a good marinate for my next BBQ chicken.........thanks:)

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Flaboy that sounds like an effective remedy all right but dont you find it difficult to pour it into the moles hole though?:p If you catch the mole so you can pour this secret sauce in his hole wouldn't it be easier to just carry him over to your neighbors lawn and let him loose?:rolleyes: This system would probably work better on Grumpys moles because he has a "Huge Mole" problem .I would think it would be easier to pour it into his bigger than normal mole holes.Does anyone know where you can buy mole hole funnels?:) ;)PS this is WALLYS fault they started it.On another note I have had lawn experts tell me the mole doesn't do much harm and its a good way to aerate the soil.

16. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've caught my last two moles by hand. I flatted out there tunnel by foot and watch it rise up the next morning, put a foot on each side of them and reach in and got them. Took them accross the highway and let them loose.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    All you did was move them. They just come back.
    Moles have tunnels that go down in the ground 10+ ft and they will sure tear it up.
    Have a friend that shoots them with a shotgun.:) Sure makes a hole in the yard but its a dead mole/
    On the traps lots of people think when the trap is tripped that they did not get the mole. but if you dig in he is there dead.
    Pete

18. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Naw... the two moles were different, one was a lot bigger.:)

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've tried pinwheels, poison, CO (Carbon Monoxide), traps but the only thing I know for sure works is my 12 ga shotgun. :mad:

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Moles can be disastrous to farmers. Let a cow or horse step thru a mole run and they might break their leg. Someones yard getting messed up is no big deal though. I wish I could remember where I seen this. There was a guy that had a flamethrower type gun. He would fill the holes with propane and then light it. WHOOFF Burned em up quick, but this was built with farmers or horses and cattle in mind, not the average back yard.