Mold for weighted treble hook?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Believer, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm thinking of making my own weighted treble hooks, 7/0-12/0. Does anyone know where to find something like this?

Thanks!

Eric

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know that Catfish connection sells them. They are used for snagging, I think thats the name of the hook, snagging trebble hook.

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks, i'll check them out. are you saying they sell the hooks or the mold to make your own hooks, which is what i'm wanting to do?

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i don't think they sell molds for that. ill check. but im pretty sure they don't.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I saw one on ebay a couple of weeks ago, but it would only accommodate up to a 6/0 hook which is a little smaller than I wanted.
    I've done a google search, but so far have come up empty.

Eric

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I found a place that sells the molds & hooks! :) It's Barlow's Tackle Express in Texas.

Eric

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cool. i checked the2005 catalog from cat conn. they sell the weighted hooks. not the molds.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeap soryy guys. I misundestood. I've thought about getting a couple, to tyr & snag the sukcers & stuff for cut bait.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Believer, there's an awful lot of snagging going on below the dams on the Arkansas River, and I have yet to see anyone using one of those treble hooks with the weight molded on. Instead, the weight is attached to the bottom of the line, and the treble hooks are attached to the line above the weight. Most people seem to use two hooks, although it's not unusual to see one or three hooks. Because of all the rocks, it's very common to hang up and lose your terminal rig, so it's always a compromise---three hooks give you more chance of snagging a fish, but it costs you more every time you have to break off; one hook costs the least to break off, but gives you the least chance of snagging a fish.
    While lots of folks make up their terminal rigs with heavy mono, what I've seen most is 100#-150# braided or twisted nylon. Serious snaggers make these rigs up at home, hang them on the rim of a plastic bucket, then put the rest of their tackle inside the bucket for carrying. Having the rigs pre-tied means very little time lost when they have a break-off.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good point whistler. i bet $ john would order it no prob. getting ready to send and order myself.

i did some snagging for carp and buffolo years ago at the spillway. gaught 30 some in a couple hrs two days. 6-9# and up. lots of carp nuggets those days.