Mold and crud on shingles

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by randallewis, Apr 23, 2009.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    What is a good home made remedy to clean a shingle roof? Some of the crud is green and some gray. Roof is shaded all the time.

2. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    Do not use bleach if the shingles are asphalt. I took the garden hose and removed all the "stuff" that would come off then used Moss remover in a shaker jug from WalMart. good luck Jerry

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    That depends on what the roof is made of, try some pool bleach, mixed 1-1 or 1-2 with enough TSP to make a strong solution, and a little laundry soap to keep the crud in solution mixed in a hand sprayer. If the roof is wood shingles, this oughta work, and you can sweep and hose it off. If its algae growin on there, its tough to kill. Can't leave bleach on wood too long, you can try some deck cleaner, try to get as much crud as you can off first. On tile roofs, best to scrape the green algae off first, then spray about 50% bleach /water solution on it, then hose it off. If you don't kill the stuff, it will start growin again as soon as it lands on the roof.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Two things to keep in mind......

Some chemicals and methods of cleaning your roof voids the warranty on the shingles if you have one.

The second is that if you have siding or other certain materials on the exterior of your home, bleach will streak it all. More than likely you have mold issues on at least one side of the home also...that part will streak if you don't keep the bleach run-off from the roof away from it.

-Jim-

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I should have said its an asphalt shingle covered mobile home at my fish camp. Pretty humid spot w/ lots of trees. Looks like i've got a garden growing up there.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I actually worked for a guy one time who had me on top of a roof with a sprayer mixed with bleach and water. We covered the whole roof with this solution and then came in behind with a pressure washer. The shingles which were once black form mold suddenly turned the color they were when they were new....white....LOL. I'm not sure how it looked 2 weeks after that, but they looked good when the check book was out!:smile2:

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    you can get a cleaner that has a anti fungus and herbicide that you just connect to your hose, it is not too bad in price but it well worth the cost and in the long run will do better, just removing mold and moss will not stop it from coming back, this cleaner will do both, just keep in mind you will always have this problem until you can clean out over hang limbs so you can get sunlight on the roof that will stop the mold and moss by keeping the roof dry, moss and mold needs moisture to grow, removing this will only keep it from recurring.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Living in the great Southwest as I do,I aint got a clue,I was gonna suggest bleach and water,But the first few posts said not to,So I'm at a loss.

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If it is just black streaks, that can be removed by applying zinc oxide in a powder or granular form. Get some and sprinkle on the roof above the problem area.
    For some reason mold won't grow around zinc.
    For example take a look below any galvanized stack or chimney or flashing and there will be no black.

Hope this helps.