Mojave Narrows? Any catfishing tips for this fishery?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gavin310, Mar 3, 2009.

1. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    hey i'm heading out to mojave narrows this weekend for camping and catfishing and relaxing. looks like everyones fishing for trout these days so i hope the catfish will be hungry. do you guys have any tips for this area? is this a flowing river with a current and i'll need heavy weights, or is it not like that? is it mainly channel cats in there?

any other advice for me?

thanks!

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Just a couple of ponds that are stocked by DFG and the county.
    There are likely to be some catfish in them but I wouldn't expect to find a hot bite.

3. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    oh really? the lady i talked to on the phone kept saying "river" though. like she said the campsites are located right on the river.

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Well,,, It is right on the Mojave River. But stop and think about that.
    The Mojave is for the most part an underground river, it takes a lot of rain fall to make it run above ground. Aside from the occasional flash flood, in which case you wouldn't want to be near the river, I have never, in living in S. Ca. for near 50 years, seen the Mojave River flow. Now, just east of the narrows is Deep Creek, it's behind that dam you'll see from the park, which usually has a year round flow fed by springs up the canyon a ways

5. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    Ooook, I get what you're saying now about it being a bunch of ponds. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it

6. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    Hey plumbertom I forgot to update you on my mojave narrows camping trip. I camped out 2 nights. First night there was crazy wind and it got down to the 30 degrees but the weather report said it would die down through the night so I figured i'd get to sleep early. next morning my dog's water bowl was completely frozen. man it was cold. i caught some trout and released them. had a cat pole out with no action. fished all day and as evening rolled around i started getting some bites on the catfish pole. Couldn't get any of them to take it. Got dark and I switched to a treble hook so the buggers couldn't get away. Ended up being small bullheads. I got two of them, about 7 inches each. tossed them both back. next day couldn't get any bites on the cat poles.

so... couple trout and a couple bullhead catfish. i really liked it out there. thanks again for your info. i can tell that place would be pretty good in the summer time.

oh i was at Pelican Lake btw.

7. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    Hey plumbertom I forgot to update you on my mojave narrows camping trip. I camped out 2 nights. First night there was crazy wind and it got down to the 30 degrees but the weather report said it would die down through the night so I figured i'd get to sleep early. next morning my dog's water bowl was completely frozen. man it was cold. i caught some trout and released them. had a cat pole out with no action. fished all day and as evening rolled around i started getting some bites on the catfish pole. Couldn't get any of them to take it. Got dark and I switched to a treble hook so the buggers couldn't get away. Ended up being small bullheads. I got two of them, about 7 inches each. tossed them both back. next day couldn't get any bites on the cat poles.

so... couple trout and a couple bullhead catfish. i really liked it out there. thanks again for your info. i can tell that place would be pretty good in the summer time.

oh i was at Pelican Lake btw.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I was out that way the other day driving down the goat trail they call Hwy 173 from Arrowhead to Mojave Narrows.
    I was surprised to see water running down the Mojave River.
    Looked like most of it was coming from Ceder Springs Dam (Lake Silverwood).
    No doubt it got plenty cold there at night this time of year.
    I've been out there when the Sun went down and experienced temperature drops if as fast as one degree per minute during spring.
    Try again when they begin Planting in a couple of weeks.
    Meantime you might give Hesperia Lake a go. They should be planting Catfish anytime now, and they plant some big blues and sturgeon also.

9. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    Thanks Tom. I was talking to a guy at Mojave Narrows and he said they plant Hesperia with catfish year round. Do you know if that's true?

10. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.