Modifying your circle hooks.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ccat, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    This idea may already be on the BOC, but just thought I would pass this on incase it hasn't.
    If you are having a hard time getting fish to take a circle hook, try "bending" or "off-setting" the hook a little. Most circle hooks I have seen (I use team catfish circles) are flat, meaning if you lay them down on a flat surface, the entire hook will touch the table or surface. Octopus hooks are offset, but don't always get the hook ratio as circle hooks. Try holding the gap of the circle hook in a vise, and bend the shank a little bit......key is "little bit."
    Hope this helps your hook up ratio.

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Very interesting, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the hint!

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I guess great minds think alike. I just started doing mine that way and it has increased my hook up rate. Also I have gone to a smaller bait.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe you can purchase offsets just about anywhere hooks are sold.For those of you with difficulty with circle hookups try this.Go to offsets and or wide gaps.Failing that go to Kahles,same benefits as circles as far as hookup locations but fewer misses.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I got a good deal ($10.) on 300 4/0 eagle claw so I have to bend them. The next hooks I get will be for Pete at Wild Wolf Products.
    I'm retired so I have time to set and bend them.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Octopus Circles, done been done. :eek:oooh: Dont ya hate when that happens. :smile2:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hard to improve on perfection. I threw all my old hooks away and switched to Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles. They be bent just right!

Bill in SC

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was going to say that Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks are offset to start with. Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 8/0 hooks are the ticket.

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You can get the Gama. Octopus Circles as a straight hook or as an offset hook. They DO NOT designate which style it is on the package. I wonder how I know? :smile2:

10. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    you can always just buy Octopus Circle hooks :wink: thats wut i use 8/0

11. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Octo Circles!!!!! They be the best right there!!!!

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    In my experience, good hooks are kind of spring tempered and don't take bending well, if at all. They just bend back, or break. That's my experience trying to take the offset out of some bigger hooks. Circles don't need any. It just helps you gut hook fish.

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    been bending mine out to.

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    idk to me it seems the offset in the gama octo circle hooks is wut helps it corner hook the fish i might be wrong but i might not. put the shank in between ur thumb and pointer finger and pull up and u will see wut im talkin about, "turns it" :smile2: it could be i dont understand wut u are sayin if thats the case disregard this reply :big_smile:

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'll have totry that. Around here large circle hooks are hard to find anyway and I've missed wayyyy more fish this year then I've caught. I try reeling down on them, letting them hook themselves and setting the hook but not much luck.