Modifying Dip-Worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by circlehook, Jun 8, 2007.

1. circlehook

circlehook New Member

State:
    NE
    Well, I read in an CatfishInsider magazine awhile ago about modifying dip-worms, so I gave it a try... but changed it alittle.

I used my normal dipworms. First I pulled the worm up the leader, and cut off the treble hook. Then pulled the worm off the leader. Next I cut off about 18" of 14lb mono for my new leader. Next, I tied a needle onto the new leader, and threaded it through the worm. Then, I cut off the needle and tied on either a #1 "J" hook or a small circle hook onto the leader. Then, I slid the worm down onto the hook. Then on the oposite end of the leader I tied on a regular barrel swivel.

I found this works great for afew reasons.
    1. It is alot easier on the fish. Sometimes with a treble hook, it can cause some major damage on them. It helps ecspecially if you plan on releasing the fish... or you want your catch fresher for the table.
    2. The hooksets OWN compared to a treble. With the circle hooks, they hooked themselves in the holder! And the hook was always in the corner or top of the mouth.

(good example):
    [​IMG]

I would suggest this to anyone. It takes alittle time, but its well worth it. All my dipworms are rigged this. Just thought I'd share :big_smile:

-Circlehook

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Good Idea! Thanks. I also take a needle and run some rubber that I use to make spinnerbait skirts and run it through the worm so it looks like a creature and it also gives more surface for the junk to hang onto.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)

Or ya could get some looper rigs

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pretty interesting reading, thanks for sharing.

If you are fishing Dip bait then you really need to try some Looper Rigs. They are bar none the best rig around for holding stink bait. Nothing on the market will outpreform them, guaranteed.

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Do you have any pics or a site to check out these rigs?

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO