Modifying abu 6500c3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Aug 5, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey just got a abu 6500c off of eBay and was thinking of doing some modifications for it. Is there a website or forum on the net dedicated to modifying abu reels or reels in general? I tried googling but couldn't come up with anything... Not sure where to start on this thing and i'm going to need lots of help :big_smile:

2. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    talk to snagged!! hes all about abus !! or mikes reel repair .com

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Mike's reel repair has pretty much any upgrade you would want. That's the source I use.

4. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
  5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

PM coming

6. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    What kind of mods are you wanting to do? Try Googleing Alan Tani. Lots of info on his site. Also search for Stripers On Line site. Tons of mod info there, also. FISH ON! Doug

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Changing things with no goal? Paint it pink.

8. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just want to know what modifications are available out there. You can paint that whatever you want. :eek:oooh::wink:

9. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Here is some mods I make to mine. dual bearing line guide, bearing cog gear, ceramic pawl, and rocket brakes. If you make these mod be careful the first time you cast, it will be about twice as far.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BOC member, snagged2 is THE man to do your reel mods!

Bill in SC

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I installed a new style clicker in my 5601CB and it works great along with a 6 pin brake to replace the 2 pin.
    I upgraded my 6601CB to a 6 pin brake and a new style power handle and ordered a levelwind worm gear set anf cog wheel both with ABEC 5 bearings. Once those two items come and I get them in, I'll have a 5 BB 6601. After that I want to upgrade the drag. Then I'll have a second reel that satisfies me for flathead fishing.

12. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i put carbontex drag washers in all my 6500s LOT BETTER THAN STOCK :wink:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The newer 6500 reels made since 2006 have the updated carbon drag washers in them..If yours does not that would be a good upgrade.

I have a couple 6500's that I had many modifications done to them, ceramice bearings and such, but I dont like them any better than a stock 6500.