Modern vs Traditional Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by DIESELkat, Jan 9, 2009.

1. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Alright, my first thread in this section went so well Ive decided to do another. Here in Pa, when it comes to muzzleloading, we have somewhat of a split. In october, we have a 3 day "modern" muzzleloader season. Inlines with scopes can be used, but only doe can be harvested. If you would like, you can also use your inline during rifle season. We also have a flintlock season after Christmas, where ONLY flintlock rifles can be used. No percussion or inline muzzleloaders and no scopes. Fiber-optic sights may be used.

I love the idea of keeping the 2 styles seperate and keeping the modern muzzleloaders, which look and act more like high-powers every day, seperate from the traditionals. I commend the PGC for stepping up and keeping the 2 styles exactly that: 2 DIFFERENT techniques.

What is your opinion on the subject? Should "modern" weapons be segregated from their "traditional" counterparts? This debate is brewing even hotter in the archery world, where recently crossbows were legalized state-wide here. Technically, a flintlock and an inline are both Muzzleloaders, capable of only 1 shot before needing to be reloaded. But the differences in the 2 is far greater than the similarities. I would love to have some insight from those of you from other states on how your state handles this situation, whether you feel it is right, and how you feel about the way PA is handling it.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i look at it this way...If your state has a deer heard that needs to be reduced in size because it is getting out of control, then i say it dont matter what means you take to kill them.

but i agree an inline is not a prmative weapon

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never heard of traditional percussion rifles being lumped into
    the same class with inlines with scopes. I know of several traditional
    rifle makers that offer the same rifle in flint or percussion, the only
    difference is there ignition system. It sounds to me like PA may have
    a large population of Buckskinners that lobbied for a separate season.
    The deer population in AL is out of control. You can kill two does or 1
    buck and 1 doe per day nov. 21 thru Jan 31. Muzzleloading seaon is
    Nov. 17 thru Nov 21. all muzzleloaders can be used. Started in 2007
    is 3 three buck rule. A hunter can only harvest 3 bucks per year and
    one of those must have 4 pts. on one side. The state is doing all they
    can to control the population but hunters will not kill enough does.
    As far as the crossbows it ain't no big deal our bow season was going
    to be ruined if crossbows were made legal. After the first year I have
    heard no complaints about the crossbow. You still have to be a bow
    hunter to be successful with a crossbow. Its not as lethal as proclaimed.
    Gun hunters toting crossbows during bow season didn't last long. Bow
    hunting is a state of mind as much as a choice of weapons.

4. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I am not sure of what state it was but I have read where there first 3 days of muzzle loader season was primative only. That did include all traditional styles it just excluded all inline.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I think if it gets more people hunting, then let them use whatever they want. More people will probably be in the field if they allow all muzzleloaders than separate the 2. I only have 1 inline, i'm not gonna buy another muzzleloader until mine is no good or my kids get old enough to need one (unless i get a heck of a deal). My view might be different if i lived somewhere that had less deer, but we're overrun already. Lets face it, i still have to reload my muzzleloader after every shot, and I load it from the muzzle. If i dont keep the powder dry, it aint gonna go off, no matter what ignition system i have. Who cares if its got a scope, or what kind of ignition system? I do not look down on people with traditional guns, different strokes for different folks. Heck, i'm one of the few people around here with an inline muzzleloader and no scope. I only have the factory fiber optic sights.

My only gripe here is that my part of the state doesn't let us use rifles during "gun season", but they let us use muzzleloaders. Muzzleloaders have heavier bullets, and are deadly far far away if you aren't careful where you are shooting.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    It may not seem like it until you hunt with it, but percussions have a HUGE advantage over flintlocks. Around here your almost sure to have snow come flintlock season. Its amazing how that little flash pan can collect so much snow. Alot of the fun of flintlock hunting come from the knowing that your gun has about a 50/50 of going off when you pull the trigger, and most of that is because of that flashpan and flint getting wet. Hell, most people dont EXPECT the gun to go off, its kind of a nice surprise when it does.

I dont know, I guess its part of the knowing that not everybody has the patients and resolve to hunt with a flintlock that makes it such a good time, same as archery season (pre crossbow). Call me a romantic or whatever, but it makes me feel closer to nature and closer to the "good ol days", when I hunt with a flintlock.

Thanks for the comments and perspective guys.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It would seem to me that flintlock season should come in first before modern gun. JMO

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Seems like too many dang rules to me, and then the F@W depts whine about declining licenses and want people to go out and buy 2 MZ's?

Im also for allowing xbows into all archery seasons, let the people hunt!!!
    Now I am for restrictions on how many and what sex deer can be taken to protect the population but I dont think weapon choice is that big a deal between xbow and compound. Id understand a little more of the primitive argument if compound bows didnt have training wheels and you had to make your own bows, arrows and muzzleloaders. I guess my idea of primitive is different than most.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico,We can use any muzzle loader,any sights. The kicker is that even though we have bow,ML and rifle seasons,we are limited to one tag/year. That means you pick the weapon of your choice and you hunt the season,be it the bow season ,which is a few weeks,ML which is a week,or rifle ,which is FOUR days. Then you are limited to ONE FORK ANTLERED BUCK. or better PERIOD .

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If I not mistaken I believe Pa had been a flintlock only state for muzzleloader up until a few years ago. That was the only thing that kept me from hunting muzzleloader season up there when I hunted Pa. Just couldnt afford another muzzleloader then. If I had the time to hunt up there now I would probably buy one. Would be exciting to hunt with a flintlock.

11. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Here in utah the muzzle loaders are considered the same gun no matter if ya got some kind of musket or a high end thompson your both in the same boat,:eek:oooh: you also can only harvest one buck and only one doe for the year.:eek:oooh:

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Yes and no. You could hunt with an inline in rifle season before, but there was no SEASON for inlines. Im not sure but I think it was about 4 years ago that they finally decided to make an inline season (actually its "early muzzleloader", you can use a flintlock too) for 3 days in October, and for doe only.