Mock Scapes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SSG Johnson, Oct 13, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Anybody in here use mock scapes I was looking for some tips on how to set one up properly. I know what a real scape is but was wondering if anyone had any advice on this. I have a mock scape out with a dripper and last year it kept getting torn off of the limb.

2. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I tried making one last year, but i started it too late. If your gonna start one, now is the time. A friend of mine swears by making them. He kept a hoof from a buck he kept years ago and uses that to scrape out the area. After he makes the scrape, he urinates in it himself. Im sure you've read about this before. He really seems to think it works. Everytime he hunts or visits the scrape he'll pee in it. Some people say if you do this, to not have any alcohol or coffee in your system, but i dont drink either so i dont know what it'd matter. Good luck!

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    yea now if I see a real scape I will pee in it as well my understanding is that all urine breaks down to ammonia so its good to pee in the scape.

4. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I made my own scent dripper yesterday with an IV bag and a IV tubing set from work (I work at a hospital). Filled the bag with 400ml of tap water and 30ml of "active scrape" buck/doe urine. I hung it over the scrape i found last weekend, and thats where im about to head to this morning. I found another scrape yesterday on my way to that one, so i pee'd all over that one too. I put a camera on that one to see if it gets hit any. Im gonna start peeing on it regularly just to see.

5. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Went and hunted over the scrape this morning and didn't see any deer there, but a deer really came in and tore it up last night. It really reaks of urine, so i guess something covered all my pee up. Looks like its working good so far. Im gonna put a camera on it tomorrow night to see. I got a picture of an 8-point at my feeder, hopefully he'll show up at the scrape cam.

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Man let me tell ya those mock scapes work this morining about 7:00 there abouts a buck came in from down wind of me right to the scape I couldnt get a shot because there just wasnt enought light he hung out there messing around in the scape for about 10 min and then took off. If he would have hung out for about 2 more mins he could have cancelled christmas..... LOL he was a big boy pretty deer I think he was the eight I have on camera but not sure as I really couldnt make out his rack real well in the dim light. I feel pretty secure he will come back. Good luck with yours old buddie I hope you get him. What are you putting in your dripper?

7. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Tap water and that "Active Scrape" formula, its made by Wildlife research center. I just used the tap water to make it last longer. Im not sure if it was it or my urine that pissed the buck off. When i looked at it, it almost looked like he had stomped it after he scratched around because there were two large tracks right beside each other about 1" deep, and the ground isnt real soft there, so im thinking maybe it just pissed him off and he started trashing the ground. Thats what the bottle says it does, so maybe it does work. Im not going to hunt there tomorrow because the tree i put my climbing stand on has real hard bark, and i didnt notice it when i put it up, and it makes me feel real insecure when im climbing. It tends to want to slip and not dig in like it does on a soft bark oak. Im gonna hunt my feeder stand tomorrow morning and go move my stand after my morning hunt and move one of my cams over there. I took off work Monday and Tuesday so i'll be there monday morning.

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thats what im using as well is the active scape I think it must work but im sure your urine had some effect as well. They have a gland in there feet that produces sent as well maybe the buck was leaving you a greeting card saying dont pee in my scape..... LOL Sounds like you got that buck hunting you be care out there brother...