Mobil 28 "red" grease for reels ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, Feb 20, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When it comes to reels is grease ,grease ? Do you really need to pay $3-$7 for 1/2 ounce of "fishing reel " grease. I ask because at work we have Mobil 28 grease , a synthetic aviation grease, red in color and wax free. I read the specs on Mobil's web site, it seems to an excellent grease with a wide temp range (-65*F to 350*F). It's main use seems to be on aircraft due to this range. It reads as useing it where high friction reduction and low wear are needed.Says use on bearings and worm gears amoung other applications. Also very waterproof with no wash out. So is "reel" grease a must for reels or will this grese work just as well ? I can get a few pumps in a 35mm film can for nothing. :tounge_out:

2. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    It should work on the gears. I use blue grease or that marine grease in my penn 704Z.

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sounds like that would work for boat trailer bearings as well as reels.
    I took a injection needle for injection meat. Cut the end off and filled with grease. Does a good job of getting grease in tight spots. As little or as much as you want.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thats a GREAT IDEA!!! But I was Wonderig,How do Yo Get All THAT Grease out out OF the Injector when You want to Pump your Turkey?LOL.J.D.
    :0a31: :0a33: :0a24: :beat_brick: :byebye:

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Why would you want to get all out?
    Adds flavor and makes it brown faster.

6. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Where i work we have all kinds of grease. Hight temp and water proof grease I used some of the water proof stuff on a old dawia spinner and It didn,t take me long to put it in the parts washer to get it all out. The problem was it made the reel a lot stiffer when you went to reel it in after that I just went with oils for lube. I dont know if it was the grease was to thick are if I used too much of it,but it didn't go back in it.

7. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I put some on the gears of my Zebco 888 and it seems to be fine. It's a lite/thin grease that's not "sticky". I used a toothpick and put some on each gear tooth ,then cranked it around about 100 -200 times; seems as slick and smooth as ever.

8. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    That's the main thing about greasing your reels, I takes just a touch of grease to do it's job.
    I bought 1 reel off ebay, it was slow on the reeling part. I openned it up and couldn't find the gears on 1 side or the clicker on the other. Way to much grease.