MOA?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by wylie catter, Apr 5, 2009.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Will one of you guys give me a clear definition of what ( minute of angle ) means. And how do you measure it?

I appreciate it.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    1/8 MOA is 1/8" movement of impact at 100yds
    1/4 MOA is 1/4" movement of impact at 100yds

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    So moa measures the shooters ability. Not necessarily the guns capability. Because it would be different depending on the rest or free hand or a gun vise and so on.

An 1/8 moa would pretty well be 2 shots in one hole. Dang.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    No. Moa is the rise or fall of the bullet. If a scope has 1/4" moa that means each click in the turret will raise or lower or move side to side the point of impact 1/4". If you shoot at a target and the bullet hits 1" to the right at 100 yds you move the turret 4 clicks to the left. If it is 1/8" moa you would move it 8 clicks for 1".

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

The Marine has pointed out some great info, but no matter what the weapon will do, It still requires a rifleman to shoot it!:eek:oooh:

God Bless, "{The U.S. Infantry}"!
    :wink:

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    MOA, or minute of angle, is a measurment, like "inch" or "centimeter". Alot of people relate "minute of angle" to equal one inch at 100 yards. It's actually just an approximate measurment. I can't remember the formula off the top of my head, but if you wanted to be exact, then 1 minute of angle really equals 1.25 inches at 100 yards. Look at the sights on an AR15 or M16. The back sight is set in minutes of angle, which if you were shooting it on a sight in target with 1 inch boxes, if you move it one minute, the bullet will generally move one and a quarter inch.

The 1/4 or 1/8 adjustments on a scope are in 1 inch increments. On a 1/4 click adjustment scope, you will have to give it 4 "clicks" to move the impact 1 inch, and 5 clicks to move it 1 MOA.

I probably just confused you more than helped I'm sure, I start getting confused myself the more I try to ponder on it, LOL.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There is a great website where this very subject is clarified. try this

www.chuckhawks.com

8. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks yall. I had been wondering about that. I appreciate all the info.

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Do a google for FM 23-10, its the US. Army Sniper Manual.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And the earth spins.
    Damn those long shots.

11. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I was gonna say something...but its all been said already, thanks guys :smile2:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

Try this site,,referenced above,,, may help give you an explanation of actual MOA

In general, regarding shooting, it's kind of a given that MOA means a 1 inch group at 100 yds.
    1 MOA at 300 yds= ,3" , 1 MOA at 400 yds=4",, etc,, as I mentioned, in general.

If someone says they have a sub MOA rifle, it would mean to me, that it shoots less than a inch group at 100yds. That rifle,, I wouldn't sell!!! If I had a rifle that shoots 1" at 400 yds, I'd definitely try and sell it, as it would be quite valuable!!!! That would be, I think,, a 1/4 MOA rifle.. , then at 100 yds that phenomenal firearm ,,would shoot1/4 "groups. Not common, usually.

Scope mfg's try and tell us that a scope has 1/8 or 1/4 inch per click, but, usually it boils down to some range time to actually check your gear out. The scopes I have, don't have "clicks", the adjustments move freely and smoothly, with a moveable dial that can be "zeroed" to zero when the rifle is sighted in to the desired range...

The function of the scope, and the rifle, are 2 complete different uses of MOA,, Regarding the rifle, it (MOA) is used as a "measurement" as to the basic trueness of the rifle and the load being fired in it.What the rifle is capable of,,,, Regarding scopes, It's generally used as an aid to help in zeroing the rifle, and subsequent field adjustments for windage and distance requirements on a shot.

None of this matters if the gun/scope/ammo is capable of spectacular accuracy, and the unit shooting it,, happens to be an untrained spaz, and couldn't tell a Bullseye,, from a rusty shovel..:smile2:

Hey Kip,, Didn't see you referenced the same site , ,,,,cool.

13. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    That is SO TRUE (and FUNNY!) I want it on a shirt!!!!

About the last part. I guess great minds think alike!:wink:

14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

The great part of being able to shoot well, is you get to choose!

A weapon in any given cal, will have a max effective range and a max range. It would do you well to learn the difference!
    Practice is the key, the right weapon setup is half of the total, I get a great deal of joy doing long shots.

The monster swamp buck I got in Jan in Ms, was about 525 yards, the lazer range finder would not measrue a soft target over 450 yards, Thats why you use a range finding scope, or at least I do!

The idea of watching your game and they do not know your around and picking your shot is very attractive to me.

I also seem to see more game when I setup at good location and wait for them instead of stomping around in their area of operations leaving my scent to warn them!

To do good distance work you must practice and know your weapon.

I wish you luck on your hunting, dont be afraid of long shots, be prepaired, not sorry!