Mo river iced up but still moven

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welder, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow Mo river has a carpet of ice just grinden slow going down river. Gasconade is froze over in spots here. I guess the next few days will thaw the rivers out some. I am shure we will have ice on the Mo for the next 2 weeks still. Well @ least if the gascoande unthaws some I might try some walleye -sauger fishen in the next few mild days. That is if I can find minnows. I think I might get some from Washingtion when I go in for Army Reserve stuff on tue. And just hold em in a tank with a bubbler till time to use.

2. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How do you catch those walleye on the Osage? Have heard lots if stories and always wanted to give it a try. When is the best time of the year?

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have gotten em in both the osage and gascoande river. Oct till May the 2 ways I have gotten em is is jigging a 1/8 to 1/4 jighead with minnow combo off the bottom drifting or controlled driffing with a trollen motor. When I find a good school I like to anchor and use a carolina rig with just enough weight to keep it down but let it skip around a lil with a live minnow. Seems I do best for them when the water is down and clear and it forces em into deep spots with rock and sand bottoms. The only exception is where the Gascoande river dumps into the Mo river here and it seems we catch alot of em right on the line where the clear and muddy water mix right @ the drop off from 8 to 35 ft of water in the mouth. If the river is high and muddy forget it they get all scattered out. A fish finder is a must for finding them look under or right down stream of shad balls for them. Light gear and around 10lb line seems to be perfect for em and ya never know what eles ya might hook alot of time ya get a suprise in feb and march and catch alot of sturgen some goen 50lbs and channel cats goen up to 10lbs. On the osage try below bagnel dam and right below the old lock and dam @ mari-osa. For the gasconade any where from the Mo river up to Hells island can be good in the deep holes. It also seems they bite better on cloudy overcast rotten weather days.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    WEll you thinmk that is gonna last welder..lmao..It is supposed to be 36 degrees wednes day and saturday sunday monday and tuesday next week is just supposed to Get a $&!^ load of snow again!!!Aalmost 2 feet this time!!

5. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Troy. Appreciate the info.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am always gald to share. As far as weather its still winter but it seems to back off some @ the end of January for the extream cold. I just gota hold it together till march 15 lol.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Same here on the March 15 thing. I've got gigging right now, but thanks to the ice can't even do that. :angry:

8. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
  9. Flat_Cat

Flat_Cat New Member

State:
    Higginsville, MO
    March 15th is opening day of snaggin season !!!!!!!!! Come on March 15th !!!!

10. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    100_0169.jpg Here are some pictures of the Missouri River Sunday.
    The one of the bridge is at Hermann
    and the other one is at Chamois. 100_0168.jpg