Mo River Fishing need Help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MiseryMike, May 26, 2009.

1. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Hey everyone i need some help. I Just Started Fishing For Cats in the Mighty Mo <bank fishing>, all i have manage to catch was a little blue cat, All i seem to do is able to get snagged up no matter how far i cast out, Here is a few things i have done, like i said im new to this, im using a 7 foot med/heavy Ready2fish rod <got From Wally world> with a spinner reel with 12lb test which im now out of line. I Started over the weekend usin treble hooks, and some dough bait <--- thats wut i got the lil blue on. i went and bought some 5/0 Circle hooks and some prepackaged little chad. Mainly wut type of rig should i use? Seems to me my rigs are not working, i was use somewut from 1 or 2 oz barrel and 18in metal leader <-- shouldnt use those right ? Some what of a Carolina rig i have not seen that setup with a metal leader like i have said i have no idea wut im doing. I have Read some wut about using a sacrificial 3-way rig Any of you use that in the missorui river is that something i should try..
    Sorry if this is some what confusing when reading
    So heres some of my ?'s for everyone
    1. Since i have to respool my Reel Should i use a super mono 25lb line since my reel will hold that
    2. What Type of Bait should i use with The Circle hooks?5/0 to big or too small? Prepackaged NOT Forzen Chad Ok or not?
    3.What Type of Rig should i use in a current like the Mo without gettin snagged <all the time> ? Also The Weights Barrel,Prymid,no rollers?

Thanks Anyone who can give me some tips, im Fishing to just catch and release btw..
    One Last Things i been doing all this fishing down at Le beniot park might of spelled that wrong, 291 bridge in sugar creek, i live up in Sadstone/Gladstone Anyone know any River Access Closer up my way
    Thanks Again
    MiseryMike:big_smile:

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Hey MiseryMike,

Some things that will make you less miserable out on the water would be to get rid of that rod and reel. I'm sure it's a decent set up, but for the river you can still use that. However, a larger and longer rod is going to give you less snags and more control. Eight foot is ok, nine foot is getting much better and ten foot is perfect for me. Many go with longer rods that work very well. I have a twelve foot that I use as well for very heavy snags down below truman dam. With me on the Missouri ten foot seems just right for all situations from the bank on the missouri.

Now the reel part. Your using to light of a line and in time as with the rod get you a bigger reel that holds a lot more heavier line. 20 is the least amount I would go with on the river. A good cheap spinning reel is the bass pro shops catmax reel. The 70 or 80 model is just fine. Being that both are 39.99 the 80 would be the way to go on the Missouri. It can hold nearly 400 yards of 20 pound test line. Good decent drag, smooth long casting ability and a great reel for the price if you looking for the cheapest route. Go with a Garcia or better quality reel if you can, but that catmax will do just fine for starting out in the river.

You can go with a three way rig, slip rig, etc. Your main problem right now is the equipment that you are using. In slow current close to the bank is ok, but you really need to step up your rod and reel, and most problems will be eliminated.

3. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Great call on the equipment.Also,try no roll sinkers,and lose the bagged shad.I've never had any luck on it.Fresh cut bait is best.Skipjack and shad are best,but just about any non game fish is bettr than nothing.Good luck,and wecome to the club.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I Fish up river from ya in Gasconade. Mo is hard to bank fish if ya new to her. First Slow down and get ya corps of engineer map. So you can find the dikes. If you casting over or getting swept into rock its hang up city. 2 Go out when the water is way down find all the dikes in the area ya fish they should be out of water in a few more weeks if we ant got another deluge commen. Find the dikes and remember where they at then fish behind or up in front of em If you know whats there you wont get hung as much. Bait I have been doen ok on creek minners green sunfish worms and shad I got shad lastnight whoooho ( Fishing was good). 4 to 6 ounce bank weights should peg ya rig down if ya need more ya fishen to swift a water. 3 way rigs are a good option from the bank. If you have to wait for the water to drop (shrugs) do it. Then walk out on the dikes and get the bait in the deep holes you should start finden blues and flats of good size. One of my fav spots is the end of a trail dike (trail dikes runn from the bank down river @ about a 30 deg angle) and in the dead water behind em in the shallow end is a great place to net shad.

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Thanks Everyone the For Replys and the info. Im Going to start completly over new setup, going to keep my R2F rod&reel for my gf to use and learn how to use a spinner setup, Take to slow moving river's and down to the lake. New Setup im looking to invest into Thanks to Mr Jayhawk Would be a berkley E-cat #4 ive read on a lot of differnt sites that people use this rod with nothing but good things to say about it, And going to get a garcia 7100i red series baitcaster <Be the 2nd time in my life i used a baitcaster last time was off the dock were i lived in keywest> that setup will run me about 170 with shipping. I looked around didnt find any better deal then that. You all agree that be a good setup for me since im starting out. Thanks Again everyone that has helped me out really opened up my eyes on what to do and not to do, feel a lil silly being out there doing what i was doing but didnt know any better lol. :smile2:

6. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I first bought my e-cats in 1998 from Rogers Lures. I gave one to Mo Hick and still have the other one. Performs just like the day I bought it:big_smile: I also use Berkly Glowsticks and to tell you the truth I love those rods as well for being a two peice. The lights are a little gimmiky, but so far they have been great rods for sure.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    move from a size 5 up to size 7 or 8 gama octo circle hooks.

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Thanks for the tip on the Circle hooks Cat

9. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i love those rods too. i have a 10 footer that i have setup for shark fishing off the beach.

10. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I started my catfishing "career" bankfishing there at La Benite Park before I managed to sneek a boat past my wife. And I too started out on the small end of the tackle spectrum, going through all the same things you talked about in your first post. Everyone here's posted excellent tips and suggestions to upgrade your gear. I am curious if you have been going downstream to the firt wingdike, the one you gotta walk through the woods to get to? I fished there with decent luck for a couple years until I got hung up once and pulled up a shirt! That pretty much took care of that! A note about that spot is in the calm water in the protected area behaind the dike there are a lot of hang-ups. The last time I scanned that area there was a nice smooth sand bar about 60 ft down from the tip of the dike. Definately good if you can roll your bait off the other side of it. For a little less fishing pressure, you can walk further downstream and brave the ticks to get to the next accesible area. It's not a wingdike, but instead a small jut into the river from an old sandbar. It's a bit of a hike, but worth it at times. The boat ramp at Choteau may be closer to where you live if you haven't found that one yet. That's where I usually launch now and always scan nice fish right at the ramp. Good luck!

11. kurtk

kurtk New Member

State:
    Independence
    I've been dyin to try that area of the MO out. If you guys are gonna head down there sometime, lemme know. I'd love to join ya. I'm by no means an expert though, just wantin to step up to some bigger fish like you.